incubator-general mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <>
Subject Re: Confusion: Sponsoring entity and Champions
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 00:33:45 GMT
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Martijn Dashorst
>> <> wrote:
>>> IMO the champion helps clarify the incubator process up to acceptance
>>> of the podling into the incubator. For example the champion for Wicket
>>> was not a singular person, but both Alex Karasulu and Upayavira were
>>> both very instrumental in smoothing our transition into the incubator.
>>> general@ can be very confusing and sometimes even hostile towards new
>>> podlings. Having a champion watching out for the podling is rather
>>> useful....
>> Agreed, IMO the role of the champion is to help the podling get
>> started (which might include help find a sponsor, mentors etc) and
>> they might only follow things from afar once that's done.
> So, why do we need a role for that?
> I rarely see the call "We need a champion" on the mailinglsit. So I
> assume that these persons are somehow connected to the project before.
> Or they read the draft-proposal and contact people directly.
> At the moment it looks as it is required to have a Champion. I don't
> think so. It should be optional, if we really need such a role.

It seems to that it is a mostly pre-incubation job in only certain
projects.  But it seems useful that one person would step forth and
claim to be the champion of bringing a certain project to the ASF and
[implicitly] agree to pushing down any artificial process hurdles.  It
seems like we've had such hurdles and brave champions in the past but
I'm too lazy to dig right now...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message