incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:01:42 GMT
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 04:34, Doug Meil <doug.meil@explorysmedical.com> wrote:
> re:  "overlap"
>
> This is the "there are multiple webservers in ASF" counter-argument -
> except that ones that exist are in two different languages (Apache WS and
> Tomcat).  The point I made in my email is that if a 3rd webserver showed
> up that was written in Java that copied a couple thousand lines of code
> from Tomcat, I would hope somebody would ask why.  I thought I had some
> agreements from some folks on this thread, but you feel differently so
> we're going to have to disagree.

This is not about "feeling differently". There is no "stealing" of
code or intellectual property, so as far as incubation is concerned
this is a non-argument.

Another example: Chukwa, Flume and Ambari. The're all incubating, with
significant overlap in features and technical architecture.
So what? If successful, some or all of them may become TLPs. I didn't
notice similar turf-related complaints from those projects.

  Bernd