incubator-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo for the Apache Incubator
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:22:27 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>> 1300 lines: heavily modified versions of Hadoop BloomFilters
>
> -any plan to contribute back to hadoop-core, or are they too incompatible
> now?
>

>> 419 lines: modified Hadoop TeraSortIngest to sort data using Accumulo
>> 325 lines: our Value is an immutable version of Hadoop BytesWritable
>
> -any plan to contribute back to hadoop-core?
> I understand why you've forked off your own versions of some of the Hadoop
> and HBase core -it is not only your right, it gets the changes in on your
> schedule. I have been known to do this myself.

Without derailing this thread too much, just to put things in
perspective: HBase has a fork of Hadoop's IPC. This makes up about
4000 lines of HBase's code. It's not a big deal. That's why we like
the Apache license. Good engineers should always be evaluating the
tradeoffs between staying with mainline and having to maintain a fork
of a particular piece of code. Sometimes the latter makes sense, even
within two closely-related projects.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon