incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 12:50:38 GMT
On 9/6/2011 10:07 PM, Doug Meil wrote:
...snip...
> I'll let the other HBase team members speak for themselves, but my request
> to ASF is that if somebody proposes something that nearly exactly like an
> existing ASF project, and it's implemented in the same language, and it
> even copies their code - shouldn't somebody at ASF ask the proposing team:
>   "have you guys talked to the other project?"  Especially since, in this
> case, one of their claims is that HBase "can't do or has no plans" for
> something.
>

> It's all about community, isn't it?

Yes, a [PROPOSAL] thread is certainly a place to ask about what other
Apache projects and communities are related to the proposal, and how
they've interacted before.  It seems

But we're happy to incubate any promising community, even if their
technology competes with an existing Apache project.  It indeed is about
community - and if there's another promising community that wants to
fork Subversion and build BigBrother, then we should let them try it.

- Shane