incubator-general mailing list archives

From Adam P Fuchs <adam.p.fu...@ugov.gov>
Subject Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 02:41:59 GMT
Hello Doug,

I appreciate your concerns, and I would like to try to provide some context that might help
you understand why we think the ASF is the right place for Accumulo.

Benson is correct that the Accumulo developers have historically not been authorized to participate
in public open-source forums in any official capacity. This has led us to developing Accumulo
as an "internal open-source" project rather than participating directly in the development
of HBase or other BigTable derivatives. While we have been coding Accumulo for the past three
years, we have also been working to improve our policies for a good portion of that time.
We expect that our policy efforts, which have enabled us to make this proposal to ASF, will
enable us to participate in the open source community in a way that was not previously possible.
We're also hoping that our participation will draw more open-source participation from a large
group of developers working in other government organizations and contractors.

While our internal group is only a microcosm of the true, global open-source community, we
have still been operating with good open-source coding practices. You don't really have to
take our word for that -- the incubator process gives us a great opportunity to show that
we can properly participate.

I understand that you're also concerned that Accumulo will compete for resources with HBase,
and that there might not be room for the two projects in ASF. I would argue that development
resources will be (and have been) split between the two projects regardless of whether they
are both part of ASF or not. Furthermore, I believe that having both projects be part of ASF
gives us more of an opportunity to collaborate going forwards. Whether we find that there
are enough competing ideas to support two top level projects, or whether we end up collapsing
Accumulo and HBase into one project, I think that the competition and collaboration we will
see in the short term will be healthy for both projects.

I look forward to working with you more closely in the future.

Cheers,
Adam

P.S. We didn't mean to imply in the proposal that we have a relationship with the community
developing HBase -- only to imply that Accumulo and HBase share common goals. We have reworded
the proposal to try to clarify this.