incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving the incubator web site to the CMS
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 03:24:31 GMT
sebb wrote:
> Mohammad Nour El-Din
> >sebb wrote:
> >>
> >> Also, what about clutch? That currently depends on being able to read
> >> some XML files.
> >
> > Although I have another long term idea for that, but it can be updated
> > to read the relevant pages of Incubator CMS, and I am also very
> > willing to help in that.

Parts of Clutch have been modified at various occasions
to gather its data and hints from other places.

It currently gets facts from
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ReportingSchedule
and from the xml source for
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/

Then it tries to get some hints from the xml source of
each podling status page. Then it uses those gathered hints
to detect whether the various project resources are available.

After the move to CMS, it could parse the generated html instead.
As Sebb indicates, the Markdown source files would not be easy.

> I think we should base clutch on a separate simple summary file, which
> is then used to create various aspects of the CMS site, as well as
> being used for other purpose. The CMS syntax is very flexible, and
> harder to parse.
>
> Having a purpose-designed podling status file would make Clutch's job
> much easier, as well as being easier to edit.
> For example, now when a podling graduates, the entry has to be moved
> from one section to another.
> A dedicated status file would just required changing the status entry.

Yes. However, could we please make it so that
that summary file is separate to Clutch.

The summary file needs other reasons for being,
which might also encourage it to be well-maintained.

I am running low on volunteer time, but will attempt to
adjust Clutch to follow the CMS changes, taking small
steps where possible.

-David