incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ramirez, Paul M (388J)" <paul.m.rami...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Add Any23 to the Apache Incubator
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:39:55 GMT
Hey All,

+1

Thanks,
Paul Ramirez

On Sep 26, 2011, at 10:18 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> OK, the proposal period had died now and I'm now calling a formal VOTE on
> the Any23 proposal located here:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Any23Proposal
>
> Proposal text copied at the bottom of this email. I'll leave the VOTE open through the
> rest of the week, and close it around Saturday, October 1, early AM PDT.
>
> Please VOTE:
>
> [ ] +1 Accept Any23 into the Apache Incubator
> [ ] +0 Don't care
> [ ] -1  Don't Accept Any23 into the Apache Incubator because...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> P.S. Here's my +1
>
> Proposal Text:
>
> = Any23 =
> == Abstract ==
> The following proposal is about ''Anything To Triples'' (shortly Any23) defined as a
Java library,  a Web service and a set of command line tools to extract and validate structured
data  in [[http://www.w3.org/RDF/|RDF]] format from a variety of Web documents and markup
formats.  Any23 is what it is informally named an ''RDF Distiller''.

> == Proposal ==
> Any23 "Anything to Triples" is a library written in Java 6 and released under the Apache
2.0 License. It provides a set of extractors for scraping semantic markup (such as [[http://microformats.org/|Microformats]],
[[http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/|RDFa]] and [[http://www.w3.org/TR/microdata/|Microdata]])
 from several sources (HTML4, XHTML5, CSV), a set of data validations, a set of parsers and
writers to handle the main RDF transport formats (RDFXML, Ntriples, NQuads, Turtle).  The
library provides a command line tool for dealing with data extraction, conversion and validation,
and a REST service implementation. The library is plugin based, allowing the hot loading of
new extractors and validators. Any23 enables third-parties developers to access structured
data from Web pages without the need of implementing ad-hoc scraping techniques. In this sense,
Any23 will relieve developers from build complex solutions when developing data acquisition
pipelines and processes targeted to semantically marked-up Web data.

Research Institute)]],  as main component of the RDF extraction pipeline used in [[http://sindice.com/|Sindice
(the Semantic Web Index)]], now is evolved in joint effort with [[http://www.fbk.eu/|FBK (Fondazione
Bruno Kessler)]]. At present time the Any23 official [[http://developers.any23.org|developers
page]] contains all the documentation, while the code is maintained on [[http://code.google.com/p/any23/|Google
Code]]. An official up-to-date showcase [[http://any23.org|demo]] is also available.

> == Rationale ==
> Provide and maintain a robust, standard and updated library for extracting and validating
semantic markup from heterogeneous sources would provide large benefits to the entire Open
Source Community. Researchers and academic projects are adopting RDF related technologies
from years  while the industry is actually moving toward Semantic Web technologies with more
concreteness. Several industry initiatives related to the [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_Web|Web
of Data]]  are taking place in the these months. [[http://schema.org|Schema.org]], for example,
[[http://info.yahoo.com/center/us/yahoo/|Yahoo Inc]]  and [[http://www.microsoft.com/about/companyinformation/en/us/default.aspx|Microsoft
Corporation]]  to structure the data in a harmonized way on [[http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html|HTML5]]
pages. [[http://schema.org|Schema.org]] leverages on the [[http://dev.w3.org/html5/md/|HTML5
Microdata]] native specification. [[http://ogp.me/|OpenGraphProtocol]] is the open standard
to include metadata in HTML page headers.  [[http://ogp.me/|OpenGraphProtocol]], initially
based on [[http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-rdfa-primer/|RDFa]], allows to describe the content
of a Web page and its underlying vocabulary could be directly represented using RDF.

> = Current Status =
> == Meritocracy ==
> The historical Any23 team believes in meritocracy and always acted as a community. Mailing
list, open issue tracker and other communication channels have always been adopted since its
first release. The adoption in a larger community, such as Apache,  is the natural evolution
for Any23. Moreover, the Apache standards will enforce the existing Any23 community practices
and will be a foundation for future committers involvement.

> == Core Developers ==
> In alphabetical order:
>
> * Davide Palmisano <dpalmisano at gmail dot com>
> * Giovanni Tummarello <giovanni dot tummarello at deri dot org>
> * Michele Mostarda <michele dot mostarda at gmail dot com>
> * Richard Cyganiak <richard at cyganiak dot de>
> * Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <reto at apache dot org>
> * Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi at apache dot org>
> * Szymon Danielczyk <danielczyk.szymon at gmail dot com>
> * Tommaso Teofili <tommaso at apache dot org>
>
> == Alignment ==
> Main aim of the project is to develop and maintain a fully flavored semantic  markup
distiller that can be used by other Apache projects that need an RDF extraction tool. The
Any23 library core is written using the following Apache libraries.

> * [[http://commons.apache.org/lang/|Apache Commons Lang]]
> * [[http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/|Apache Commons HTTP Client]]
> * [[http://commons.apache.org/codec/|Apache Commons Codec]]
> * [[http://tika.apache.org/|Apache Tika]]
> * [[http://commons.apache.org/cli/|Apache Commons CLI]]
> * [[http://poi.apache.org/|Apache POI]]
>
> The Any23 service is targeted to run within any compliant Servlet  container like Tomcat.
>
> = Known Risks =
> == Orphaned Products ==
> The increasing number of Any23 adopters and the raising interest for Semantic Web related
technologies let us believe that there is a minimal risk for this work to being abandoned
 from the community. Moreover Any23 has already been used in production by Sindice.com and
 other DERI projects for years.

> == Inexperience with Open Source ==
> All of the committers have experience working in one or more open source projects inside
and outside ASF.

> == Homogeneous Developers ==
> The list of initial committers are geographically distributed across Europe with no one
company being associated with a majority of the developers.  Many of these initial developers
are experienced Apache committers already  and all are experienced with working in distributed
development communities.

> == Reliance on Salaried Developers ==
> To the best of our knowledge, the biggest part of the initial committers is being paid
to develop code for this project due to the adoption of Any23 in their organizations infrastructures.
In any case, some of the core historical developers (some of them no longer getting paid from
the original companies behind Any23)  are still committing even if Any23 is not employed in
their actual organizations. Any23 has already proven its capability to attract external developers.

> == Relationships with Other Apache Products ==
> In the last years, other projects have been under ASF incubation process relying on the
Semantic Web technology stack, such as Apache Clerezza, Stanbol and Jena. This could be seen
as a proof of the consolidation and the adoption growing tendency of such technologies. Apart
the specificity of those projects, sharing the same underlying stack, Any23 could be employed
in every projects needing a reliable framework to access structured semantic markup. Any23
core could be easily released also as a  [[http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/PluginCentral|Apache
Nutch Plugin]] and then, used to handy fill [[http://www.openrdf.org/doc/sesame2/system/ch05.html|SAIL-compliant]]
triple stores.

> == An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==
> Even if the Any23 community recognizes the power and the attractiveness  of the ASF brand,
we are absolutely aware of our already established role in the wider Semantic Web developers
community. Any23 already proved its reliability in closely support all the new specifications
coming  from the Microformats communities, our major contributors in term of  opened issues
about new feature requests. Furthermore, we are convinced that we can enthusiastically bring
inside the ASF new and fresh energies in order to improve our visions, insights and knowledge
about the other  projects and, most important, to have the possibility of enlarge our small
 community with talented and passionate developers.

> = Documentation =
> Any23 Documentation
>
> 1. [[http://developers.any23.org/|Any23 Project Homepage]]
> 1. [[http://code.google.com/p/any23/|Any23 Developer Homepage]]
> 1. [[http://any23.org/|Any23 Live Demo]]
>
> Any23 Related Specifications
>
> 1. [[http://www.w3.org/RDF/|RDF]]
> 1. [[http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/|HTML5]]
> 1. [[http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/|RDFa]]
> 1. [[http://www.w3.org/TR/microdata/|Microdata]]
> 1. [[http://microformats.org/|Microformats]]
> 1. [[http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/|RDF/XML]]
> 1. [[http://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/turtle/|Turtle]]
> 1. [[http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-testcases/#ntriples|N-Triples]]
> 1. [[http://sw.deri.org/2008/07/n-quads/|N-Quads]]
>
> Any23 Other documentation
>
> 1. [[http://www.slideshare.net/dpalmisano/distilling-the-web-of-data-drop-by-drop-with-java|Any23
presentation on Slideshare]]

> = Initial Source =
> The intial source comprises code developed on [[http://code.google.com/p/any23/|GoogleCode]]
licensed under the Apache License 2.0 (to be contributed under Grant from Giovanni Tummarello
for Any23).