incubator-general mailing list archives

From Biao Han <>
Subject Re: [odfdom-dev] Status of the Simple Java API for ODF and ODFDOM - 08/10/2011
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 08:46:23 GMT
Angelo zerr <> wrote on 2011-08-11 21:22:08:

> From: Angelo zerr <>
> Cc:,,
> Date: 2011-08-11 21:22
> Subject: Re: [odfdom-dev] Status of the Simple Java API for ODF and
> ODFDOM - 08/10/2011
> Hi Biao,
> Thank a lot to mention XDocReport in your mail. I would like give
> some information about it. You can find XDocReport at http://
> By default XDocReport generate report
> source 2 source (odt 2 odt, docx 2 docx...). At this step ODFDOM IS
> NOT Used. ODFDOM is used for convert ODT 2 XHTM or PDF that we have
> ODFDOMConverter
> THe ODFDOMConverter is Java implementation to convert ODT 2 PDF
> (with itext) and XHTML. This project is used by XDocReport (if you
> wish convert your generated report 2 XHTML, PDF) BUT you can use
> ODFDOMConverter without XDocReport (package is
> )
> My idea was to give to ODFDOM Team the sources of the
> ODFDOMConverter project. But since you wish gives the project 2
> Apache, I'm not sure that ODFDOM Converter will interest Apacahe.
> Why? Because we are using iText for PDF and not FOP. I believe that
> Apache Fondation don't want use iText.
> We have the same proble with our DOCX converter http://
> If you think iText is not a problem for Apache Fondation, we will
> happy to give your the ODFDOMConverter project.

Thanks for your contribution intention. But we found iText uses the AGPL
So it would be difficult to use that in an Apache 2.0 licensed project.

Do you have plan to supply a version using PDFBox pr FOP? Both of them will
be OK for Apache 2.0 license.
And as far as I know, PDFBox may be easier. Its API is similar with iText.

Whatever, thank you for your eager contribution intention!