incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HCatalog 0.1-incubating (RC2)
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 02:55:00 GMT
On 18 August 2011 23:30, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 August 2011 18:42, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> Sebastian,
>>
>> Thanks for voting.  I have a couple questions on your feedback.  I didn't follow
what you were saying about having source in the archive and about having NOTICE etc. files
in every archive.  HCatalog only has one archive in this proposed release, hcatalog-0.1.0.tar.gz.
 This archive does have all the required files, and it contains the source.  You can download
this archive and do a build of the project (which I did before voting).

>> Looking through the NOTICE file, it looks like the reference to JDBM is unneeded,
as that is not used.  Other than that all the jars referenced in the file are included in
the distribution.  So is your concern just the extra JDBM plus that it says "includes/uses"
instead of just "includes"?

> Yes, mostly.
>
> What about JUnit? The archive includes junit 3.8.1 (seems a bit old -
> current version is 4.8.2)
> Also Thrift-Facebook, which has package name com.facebook - suggests
> it is not part of Apache Thrift
>
> Is ANTLR really needed at run-time? Ditto JUnit?
> If it's only need to build the software it can just be listed as a
> requirement in the build instructions.
>
> Given that the code appears to use Ivy, this should be able to fetch
> compile-time dependencies automatically.
>
> BTW, you include both log4j 1.2.15 and 1.2.16 which looks wrong. Also
> antlr 2.7.7 and 3.0.1. Mixed jars often cause problems.
>
> Not sure you need both commons-logging and commons-logging-api; also
> latest version is 1.1.1 (released 2007)
>
>> Regarding the LICENSE file the licenses for the 3rd party software is in the Hive's
LICENSE file which we include, but we can move it up to the top level LICENSE file.

> Yes, all required licenses must be in the top-level LICENSE file. You
> cannot expect users to hunt around looking for LICENSE files.
>
> I would expect to find a separate source release archive, with just
> the source from the HCatalog project.
> If I want the source, why should I have to download all the binary
> dependencies too?
>
> BTW, I don't understand why you include an external to Hive source -
> surely you can just depend on one of the Hive releases?

One other problem:

The build.xml file in the SVN tag does not agree with the one in the archive.
It looks like the tag was created after the archive, and in the
meantime build.xml had been updated in SVN.

The tag should reflect exactly what was used to build the release candidate.
For example:
- create tag
- checkout tag in new workarea
- build from clean workarea.