incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ashutosh Chauhan <hashut...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HCatalog 0.1-incubating (RC1)
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 22:25:30 GMT
There are two kind of jar files. One which HCatalog is adding itself
and others we are
inheriting from Hive project. Since Hive is TLP and has multiple
releases I am going to assume
I need not to worry about any of those jars and sources. I have
verified all the HCatalog dependencies are ASL.

./lib/libthrift.jar
./ivy/ivy-2.2.0.jar
./build/ivy/lib/hcatalog/commons-cli-1.0.jar
./build/ivy/lib/hcatalog/pig-0.8.0.jar
./build/hcatalog/hcatalog-0.1.0.jar

So, I think I need not to bother about Notice.txt either since
anything other then Hive dependencies are ASL.

Patrick, correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Ashutosh

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:25, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> 2. "Verify distribution rights". Can you point me to some
>> documentation on how do I proceed to make this verification ?
>>

> I think you just need to follow the description on this, from your status page:
>
> ....-..-..      Check and make sure that for all code included with the
> distribution that is not under the Apache license, we have the right
> to combine with Apache-licensed code and redistribute.
> ....-..-..      Check and make sure that all source code distributed by the
> project is covered by one or more of the following approved licenses:
> Apache, BSD, Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with
> essentially the same terms.
>
> There's a section of the incubator on this as well:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-legal-audit
> although I think you hit most of these already (headers for example).
>
> So really, afaict, you need to go through this exercise and mark on
> the page that you've done it (ie list the date(s)).
>
>> 3. Is there a guideline somewhere about what needs to go in NOTICE.txt
>> Particularly, we svn extern hive project which already has NOTICE.txt
>> for those dependencies do we stil need to worry about them.
>
> Honestly I have trouble groking this one myself. ;-) Here's the
> incubator docs on this:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
> specifically:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
> an httpd example:
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt
>
> Perhaps some other incubator member would have more insight or a
> better description?
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick
>

>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:39, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
>>> -1, I found a few issues that need to be cleaned up.
>>>
>>> On the plus side the md5 checked out and "ant test" was successful
>>>
>>> I then looked through:
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list
>>>
>>> DISCLAIMER is missing (I don't see in readme or release notes either):
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-disclaimer
>>> here's an example:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/whirr/trunk/DISCLAIMER.txt?revision=991399&view=markup
>>>
>>> I see that the section "Verify distribution rights" in
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/hcatalog.html
>>> is not filled in.
>>>
>>> The notice file says that javaewah is included, but I can't find it.
>>> Should slf4j be included? (there are a number of jars included in the
>>> release, you might review this)
>>>
>>> bin/umaskcheck.sh is missing a license header
>>>
>>> note: the archive's lib directory contain 3 versions of hcatalog jar
>>> -rw-r--r--  1 phunt phunt  139184 2011-07-12 03:19 hcatalog-0.1.0-incubating.jar
>>> -rw-r--r--  1 phunt phunt  139184 2011-07-12 04:18 hcatalog-0.1.0.jar
>>> -rw-r--r--  1 phunt phunt  139184 2011-07-12 03:19 hcatalog-0.1.1.jar

and signature look good.  Checked the rat report.