incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <andy.seabo...@epimorphics.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] 3 month deadline on CLA item
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:32:07 GMT

On 02/08/11 11:24, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2011-08-02, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> As can be seen elsewhere, I'm on a self-given mission to clean up the
>> history of podlings by getting them to sign off on the following
>> checklist item:
>
>> "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
>> been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the
>> package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project. "
>
>> I view this as the first item that a podling should be dealing with,
>> along with setting up the committers and getting that first codebase
>> in. By comparison, a website is a nice to have and community is just
>> icing.
>
> Dealing with, completing is a different issue.
>
>> Proposal time.
>
>> In parallel to cleaning up history, I'd like to stop the rot going
>> forward. I'd like to propose that each new podling has 3 months (or
>> another calendar length if that feels too short/too long) to get the
>> checklist item signed off. I'm partial to 3 months as we would make
>> them report monthly until they have the item signed off, perhaps with
>> 6 months as a 'do we retire the podling?' checkpoint.
>
> +1 in general but three month may be too short, I'm leaning to the
> report monthly until done with a checkpoint - and six month feels good
> to me.
>
> Currently I'm mentor of a podling where one of the original contributors
> who enthusiastically supported the move to the ASF has gone MIA for
> several month now without any sort of CLA or grant in sight.  In such a
> situation you hope your reminder mails have been lost, there is some
> sort of vacation and things will work out.  You wait until you realize
> it is time to act because nothing is going to happen.  In such a case
> three month get eaten up quickly.
>
> Stefan

My experience with the Jena podling is that getting a Software Grant can
take a seemingly long time.  It's not a priority item for anyone in the
the granting organisation so everything just goes slow.  It took us
about 8 months to do the process and that was a starting point of
already had discussions that, in principle, the organisation would make
the grant.

Keeping it at the top of the podling todo list is good - our mentors
were good at doing that.

	Andy