incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [QUESTION] How big should a contribution be to require a code grant?
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 13:04:46 GMT

On Aug 24, 2011, at 9:14 AM, Zbarcea Hadrian wrote:

> Sorry to ask here, but this gang has probably the most experience. We have a contribution
in Camel (not a podling) [1] from an ASF committer: Stephen Gargan (sgargan). It is a piece
of code that is not usable by itself, it's a Camel plugin/component, was ALv2 licensed all
along, brings only one dependency on another ASF project (zookeeper), all is great. The thing
is that the patch contains some 50 files, it's not really big, but not small either. The question
is: should it require a code grant? There were components contributed in the past without
a code grant, but they were smaller. The ASF policy [2] is not very clear on where to draw
the line between patches and code donations. I'd think a code grant is not necessary in this
case, but I am curious how wrong I am.

> Advice highly appreciated,
> Hadrian
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-2472
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

I would just check it in and let the JIRA number in the checkin comment suffice as documentation.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Alan