incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: nbsp in unicode podling pages
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 06:02:06 GMT
Looking at the source of the text/html at <http://incubator.apache.org/tashi/>

it appears that this is relevant:

in the <head> element.  Unfortunately, the pages are served up as UTF8.  If I change
the encoding in which the page is viewed to 8859-1, the problem goes away.

It could be because all of the CSS is in front of the <head> element.

It also could be because the server reports a MIME Type that has UTF-8 coding as its charset
parameter and the file is not in UTF-8.

Finally, did the XML have &nbsp; or &0xa0; ?  And what is the explicit character-set
encoding specified in the XML prolog?  (Oddly, the default for MIME Type text/xml is not a
Unicode encoding.)

There's a long chain of transformation/character-set-encoding-assumption points at which this
could be going wrong in the web-site-production tool chain.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Stroucken [mailto:mxs+apache@cmu.edu]
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2011 21:32
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: nbsp in unicode podling pages

Hi,

I'm noticing that non-breaking spaces are written out as chr(0xa0) in
the HTML documents after being converted from XML.
(http://incubator.apache.org/tashi/). To work properly, the spaces
should be encoded something like chr(0xc0)+chr(0xa0), or &nbsp; I guess.

Am I missing some configuration in the site building setup?

The locale I am running ant in is "de_DE.UTF-8".

Thanks for any help,
Michael.