incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anybody know legality of saaj-impl-1.3.jar?
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 19:43:43 GMT

On Jul 7, 2011, at 9:40 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:32:37 AM Karl Wright wrote:
>> OK - so now I'm getting conflicting advice.  Somebody went through a
>> fair bit of effort to implement the geronimo versions of all these
>> packages, including saaj-impl.  Are you saying that Sun/Oracle
>> recently changed the licensing terms sufficiently that substituting
>> the geronimo jars is no longer necessary?
>
> I wouldn't say recently, but yes.  They did change licenses a while ago *for
> new releases* from BCL to CDDL which moved them from Category X to Category B.
> So yes, substituting the geronimo jars in MOST cases is no longer necessary.

Agreed.

> However, not all of the Sun jars have had a new release with the new License.
> That said, may folks would prefer the Apache licensed versions.
>
> That said, you specifically asked about saaj-impl, not saaj-api.   Geronimo
> doesn't have a saaj-impl.  The closest at Apache would likely be in Axis.   I
> believe they have an saaj-impl based on Axiom someplace.  Geronimo does have
> an saaj-api I believe.
>

>> If so, what caveats do I
>> need to include in NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt, or should I just copy
>> whatever Chemistry does?
>
> Well, you'd need to mention the CDDL license for the saaj-impl in the
> LICENSE.TXT.

Adding a bit more background:

saaj-impl (and many of the other implementations/specs) are dual licensed GPL v2 and CDDL.
Any ASF project should choose CDDL. I had thought that the procedure for this was to include
both of the licenses, then explicitly choose the preferred license. Looks like I'm wrong/out-of-date.
Only the CDDL license should be included. See http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#mutually-exclusive
for details.

--kevan