incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mohammad Nour El-Din <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Deft for incubation
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:12:26 GMT
Sorry to interrupt this technical discussion, but I believe that now
we are ready to go for a [VOTE] ?

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Roger Schildmeijer
<schildmeijer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Been examining the asyncweb project in more details (atleast the asyncweb.client and
asyncwebserver components). Below is my notes (simple draft).

> asyncweb notes
> -client module
> * https support for Deft's AHC (AsynchronousHttpClient) could borrow some details from
asyncweb (o.a.asyncweb.client.SimpleTrustManagerFactory)
> * Improve the http request decoding (org.apache.ahc.codec.HttpDecoder, eg. decode[line,
status, header, cookie])

> -server module
> * like the simple and elegant design of o.a.asyncweb.server.resolver.ServiceResolver
(and its concrete impl., eg. PatternMatchResolver (comparable to Deft's "Capturing groups")
and ExactMatchURIServiceResolver)
> * o.a.asyncweb.server.HttpClientListener (interface with callbacks clientDisconnected,
clientIdle, register listeners on HttpServiceContext). I like the idea. Useful for comet/longpoll
(could be worth to add to Deft).

> Conclusion:
> Ofcourse there are overlaps between the two projects. I agree with Emanuel Emmanuel Lécharny
regarding that "It's almost as difficult to write from scratch some piece of code than to
reuse some other with lost support..."
> Deft is built (tightly integrated) around the event-loop (org.deftserver.io.IOLoop) which
the modules (e.g the web server component and the async http client) heavily depend upon.
Asyncweb is built on top of the Apache MINA network framework and to merge these two project
(asyncweb and deft) is non trivial, therefor I propose we don't. Also, I guess asyncweb was
"abandoned" for a reason?

> With Best Regards
>
> Roger Schildmeijer
>
> On 4 jul 2011, at 18.45em, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

already used to be very helpful for lots of projects.
>>> There is no such corresponding feature in Deft, at least not at the moment :)
>>
>> In any case, I don't think that Deft *has* to use MINA, or not. It's probably something
that could be discussed once the podling is accepted, and by the core developpers.

>> Now, what is more important is to check how close are AsyncWeb and Deft, to see if
those two project should be merged, or not, and if Deft has enough potential to be a TLP,
or not.

>> I'm not even sure it should be put under MINA's umbrella. I'd say it would be convenient,
but has side effects. This should be discussed.

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Cordialement,
>> Emmanuel Lécharny