incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mohammad Nour El-Din <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Deft for incubation
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 11:42:08 GMT
Very good idea, such syncing among diff apache projects is highly
welcome and I can say it is a MUST.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Julien Vermillard
<jvermillard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Roger Schildmeijer
> <schildmeijer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Been examining the asyncweb project in more details (atleast the asyncweb.client
and asyncwebserver components). Below is my notes (simple draft).

>> asyncweb notes
>> -client module
>> * https support for Deft's AHC (AsynchronousHttpClient) could borrow some details
from asyncweb (o.a.asyncweb.client.SimpleTrustManagerFactory)
>> * Improve the http request decoding (org.apache.ahc.codec.HttpDecoder, eg. decode[line,
status, header, cookie])

>> -server module
>> * like the simple and elegant design of o.a.asyncweb.server.resolver.ServiceResolver
(and its concrete impl., eg. PatternMatchResolver (comparable to Deft's "Capturing groups")
and ExactMatchURIServiceResolver)
>> * o.a.asyncweb.server.HttpClientListener (interface with callbacks clientDisconnected,
clientIdle, register listeners on HttpServiceContext). I like the idea. Useful for comet/longpoll
(could be worth to add to Deft).

>> Conclusion:
>> Ofcourse there are overlaps between the two projects. I agree with Emanuel Emmanuel
Lécharny regarding that "It's almost as difficult to write from scratch some piece of code
than to reuse some other with lost support..."
>> Deft is built (tightly integrated) around the event-loop (org.deftserver.io.IOLoop)
which the modules (e.g the web server component and the async http client) heavily depend
upon. Asyncweb is built on top of the Apache MINA network framework and to merge these two
project (Asyncweb and deft) is non trivial, therefor I propose we don't. Also, I guess asyncweb
was "abandoned" for a reason?

> Took a look at Deft, I know well AsyncWeb, and the two projects are
> really similar.
> AsyncWeb was abandoned for some weird community issues (the merge of
> MINA and AsyncWeb communities was badly managed) and because it's much
> funnier to redo an HTTP from scratch than taking back and abandoned
> project :)
>
> We are currently recoding MINA from scratch (v3.0) so we can share
> ideas about asynchronous API for network operations, perf tests, etc..
> I think the two projects should stay in touch and share background ideas.
>
> Julien

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com