incubator-general mailing list archives

From Henry Saputra <henry.sapu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Proposing Giraph for the Apache Incubator
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 23:09:56 GMT
Will the library generic graph algorithm be tightly coupled with the
Hadoop integration piece?

- Henry

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Avery Ching <aching@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose Giraph as an Apache Incubator project.  Giraph is a large-scale
graph processing infrastructure (inspired by Pregel) that runs entirely on Hadoop.  Giraph
applications and MapReduce jobs coexist on shared Hadoop instances and Giraph applications
can be part of Oozie workflows as a normal MapReduce job.

> Here is a link to the proposal in our GitHub wiki:
>
> https://github.com/aching/Giraph/wiki/Apache-Incubator-Proposal
>
> The proposal is also inlined below:
>
> Thanks!
>
> Avery
>

> = Giraph : Large-scale graph processing on Hadoop =
>
> == Abstract ==
>
> Giraph is a large-scale, fault-tolerant, Bulk Synchronous Parallel (BSP)-based graph
processing framework.

> == Proposal ==
>
> Graph processing platforms to run large-scale algorithms (such as page rank, shared connections,
personalization-based popularity, etc.) have become quite popular.  Some recent examples
include Pregel and HaLoop.  For general-purpose big data computation, the MapReduce computation
model is widely adopted and the most deployed MapReduce infrastructure is Apache Hadoop.  We
have implemented a graph-processing framework that is launched as a typical Hadoop MapReduce
job to leverage existing Hadoop infrastructure, such as Amazon’s EC2.  Giraph builds upon
the graph-oriented nature of Pregel but additionally adds fault-tolerance to the coordinator
process with the use of ZooKeeper as its centralized coordination service.  Additionally,
Giraph will include a library of generic graph algorithms.

> == Background ==
>
> Giraph was initially began development as a side project at Yahoo! at the end of 2010.
 It was made functional in a month and then started adding various features.  Development
has been focused on internal customers needs until this point.

> == Rationale ==
>
> Web and online social graphs have been rapidly growing in size and scale during the past
decade.  In 2008, Google estimated that the number of web pages reached over a trillion.
 Online social networking and email sites, including Yahoo!, Google, Microsoft, Facebook,
LinkedIn, and Twitter, have hundreds of millions of users and are expected to grow much more
in the future.  Processing these graphs plays a big role in relevant and personalized information
for users, such as results from a search engine or news in an online social networking site.

> == Initial Goals ==
>
> At this point, most of the functionality has been implemented and we are looking to get
more adoption and contributions from users outside Yahoo!.   We want to ensure that performance
scales and that the code is robust and fault tolerant.

> == Current Status ==
>
> === Meritocracy ===
>
> Giraph was initially developed by Avery Ching and Christian Kunz beginning in December
2010 at Yahoo!.  There are other developers using Giraph at Yahoo! that are making suggestions
and adding code.  We are reaching out to other folks at social networking companies for additional
usage and development.

> === Community ===
>
> Several groups who are interested in either joining our project or using our code have
contacted us.  We certainly believe that there is a lot of interest and are actively looking
to improve and expand the community.

> === Core Developers ===
>
> Avery Ching: Wrote a majority of the code
> Christian Kunz: Wrote most of the communication code and security integration with Hadoop
>
> === Alignment ===
>
> Giraph uses several Apache projects as its underlying infrastructure (Hadoop and ZooKeeper).
  It also builds on Apache Maven.

> == Known Risks ==
>
> === Orphaned products ===
>
> There are many social networking companies that would be interested in using this graph-processing
framework and we have already received interest from some of them.  Yahoo! is already using
this code in production and will certainly continue to use it in the future as well.

> === Inexperience with Open Source ===
>
> While the initial developers have limited experience on contributing to open-source projects,
Yahoo! as a company has a strong commitment to open-source and we have several advisors that
we can ask for help.

> === Homogenous Developers ===
>
> At this time, the project is relatively young and the developers work at only two companies
(Yahoo! and Jybe).  However, given the interest we have seen in the project, we expect the
diversity to improve in the near future.

> === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>
> Currently Giraph is being developed by a combination of salaried and volunteer time.
 We expect that other corporations will take an interest in this project and likely contribute
with salaried developers.  Some individuals will likely spend volunteer time on it as well.
 It is still early in their project and we are hoping for a lot of growth.

> === Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
>
> Giraph depends on many Apache projects: Hadoop, ZooKeeper, Log4j, Commons, etc.  It
is built using Apache Maven.

> Giraph has some overlapping functionality with Apache Hama.  However, there are some
significant differences.  Giraph focuses on graph-based bulk synchronous parallel (BSP) computing,
while Apache Hama is more for general purposed BSP computing.  Giraph runs on the Hadoop
infrastructure, while Apache Hama uses its own computing framework.

> === An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
>
> The Apache brand is likely to help us find contributors, however, our interests in Apache
are primarily because the other projects that we depend on are also Apache projects and it
makes sense that all this software be available from the same place.

 It is already available on GitHub at https://github.com/aching/Giraph.

> === Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ===
>
> We intend the entire code base to be licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.
>
> === External Dependencies ===
>
> The required dependencies are all Apache compatible licenses.  The following components
with non-Apache licenses are enumerated:
> * JSON – Public Domain
>
> === Cryptography ===
>
> Giraph depends on secure Hadoop that can optionally use Kerberos.
>
> == Required Resources ==
>
> === Mailing lists ===
>
> * giraph-private (with moderated subscriptions)
> * giraph-dev
> * giraph-commits
> * giraph-users
>
> === Subversion Directory ===
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/giraph
>
> === Issue Tracking ===
>
> JIRA Giraph (GIRAPH)
>
> === Other Resources ===
>
> Giraph has integration tests that can be run with the LocalJobRunner.  These same tests
also designed to be run on a small (even single node) Hadoop cluster.  While not required
at this time, it would be nice if such a resource were available.