incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: launch trajectories
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 13:07:00 GMT
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>> ...If a project, during an 18 month incubation, cannot draw in new blood,
>> how can we believe that it will do so as a TLP?
>>
>> Marketing of the project, getting it known, getting people using it
>> enough so as to draw in new blood, is clearly a part of the incubation
>> process....
>
> I tend to agree, and maybe also lowering the bar for new committers (I
> have no idea if that's a problem in your podling).

At the risk of getting shoes thrown at my by my fellow mentors ...

I know something about the field of endeavour of this podling --
that's why I volunteered. I think that it is a very interesting
question as to how many qualified, interested, potential committers
are out there. Much of the work in the field is academic, and
professors tend to keep their <del>slave labor</del> graduate students
otherwise occupied. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but, in a sense,
that's the question posed by this podling: who's out there?
Ironically, I might be writing a proposal this week for funding to
assign people of mine to work on it, but there's no telling where that
will go.