incubator-general mailing list archives

From "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <seba.wag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenMeetings incubator for Web Conferencing
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:24:34 GMT
Hi Mohammed,

thanks for your feedback. About your requests:

1. You can create your own room 3 ways at the moment:
You have the personal rooms on the dashboard,
you can create events using the calendar (every event has a conference room
assigned)
or you can send private messages to otherusers and attach conference room
(actually this will create an event in the calendar again and a meeting
room).
2.*inactive the OK and Cancel button* => this is a Flash Plugin Issue, you
might right click beforehand on the plugin and generally allow/disallow
webcam/microphone access for that website. This security window of Flash is
not possible to change from a programmer point of view.
3. About UI changes in the conference room you're right. The problem is that
we have a lot of options and its quite hard to find an implementation that
includes all those options but still looks good.
Users often request for example a simpler UI, on the other hand simple means
for the most of them "remove the whiteboard", "remove the chat", "remove
moderation" et cetera. That is no option as you will get lots of complaints
if you remove functionality that was once there. If you make all those
features "optional", you get a quite complex room-configuration with lots of
checkboxes and the UI will look ugly as you have to design a layout that
works/looks good, no matter if you enable all or only 1 feature of the
conference room.
I tried to apply some kind of "property-inspector layout". Probably the
video pods will be at a fixed position in a future layout by default
(although its an important feature for lots of folks beeing able to resize
them :)).

Thanks,
Sebastian

2011/7/27 Mohammad Nour El-Din <nour.mohammad@gmail.com>

> Hi...
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Alexei Fedotov
> <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mohammad,
> >
> > Any impressions to share? Have you occasionally faced any bugs?
>
>   1- I didn't find a way to create my own rooms ? Maybe I missed it
> some where, but I didn't find it :).
>  2- When I tried it with a colleague of mine and start a conference
> or a Webinar, I get a pop-up asking me permission to use my mic and
> camera and when I say yes, I get another pop-up I guess related to
> Flash but it is inactive the OK and Cancel button are not clickable
> but not dimmed.
>
> 3- Also, but this is only from a user perspective, I guess it needs
> some work on the UI :), I believe it can be simpler, I am not a UI guy
> but I am talking comparing to other similar solutions, like Google+
> Hangout for example which was very easy to use from the 1st try.
>
> I hope my comments can help :).
>

> > --
> > With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
> > Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
> > http://dataved.ru/
> > +7 916 562 8095
> >

> > 2011/7/25 Mohammad Nour El-Din <nour.mohammad@gmail.com>:
> >> +1 for the proposal
> >>
> >> I tried it out. It looks very promising :).

> scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>
> with

> incubator.

> all