incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: SGA for AL 2.0 licensed code base
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 00:43:00 GMT
+1

The main thing is that Apache must be able to rely upon the license
contained in the files.

This is the same reason that we don't routinely accept contributions
that are licensed "in the public domain".

Just because a file says it has a particular license doesn't mean that
the contributor of that file has the legal right to contribute it.

Bottom line: we need to establish the legal right of the contributor
to contribute any files to an Apache project.

Craig

On Jul 18, 2011, at 4:35 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Alan D. Cabrera
> <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> I'm just curious.  Do we still need an SGA for a podling codebase
>> that's AL 2.0 licensed?
>
> Do we know that the people who placed the AL 2.0 license headers on
> that code have sufficient rights to do so?  A signed statement that
> "Licensor is
> legally entitled to grant the above license." would be helpful.  A
> Software Grant is probably the most straightforward way to obtain and
> record such a statement.
>
> I'm not saying that it can't be done without a Software Grant, just
> that there may be more work involved any other way.
>
>> Regards,
>> Alan
>
> - Sam Ruby

Craig L Russell