incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Giraph to join the incubator
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2011 22:14:16 GMT
Guys,

I'll happily mentor this project. I'll add myself to the wiki now.

Cheers,
Chris

On Jul 22, 2011, at 1:36 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Does an proposal need a full set of mentors before it can be voted on?  Just wondering.
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> On Jul 22, 2011, at 1:30 PM, Avery Ching wrote:
>
>> Hi and good friday to you all,
>>
>> It's been a week since we submitted our proposal for Giraph's inclusion into the
Apache incubator and the discussion around the proposal seems to have settled.  Thank you
for all the comments/questions/general interest and for those who volunteered to be committers.
 At this time, I'd like to ask for a vote.

>> The latest proposal can be found at the end of this email and in the following wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GiraphProposal
>>
>> <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GiraphProposal>The discussion regarding the
proposal can be found below:

>> http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg29957.html
>>
>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg29957.html>
>> Please cast your votes:
>>
>> [  ] +1 Accept Giraph for incubation
>> [  ] +0 Indifferent to Giraph incubation
>> [  ] -1 Reject Giraph for incubation
>>
>> This vote will close 72 hours from now.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Avery
>>

>> = Giraph : Large-scale graph processing on Hadoop =
>>
>> == Abstract ==
>>
>> Giraph is a large-scale, fault-tolerant, Bulk Synchronous Parallel (BSP)-based graph
processing framework.

>> == Proposal ==
>>
>> Graph processing platforms to run large-scale algorithms (such as page rank, shared
connections, personalization-based popularity, etc.) have become quite popular.  Some recent
examples include Pregel and HaLoop.  For general-purpose big data computation, the MapReduce
computation model is widely adopted and the most deployed MapReduce infrastructure is Apache
Hadoop.  We have implemented a graph-processing framework that is launched as a typical Hadoop
MapReduce job to leverage existing Hadoop infrastructure, such as Amazon’s EC2.  Giraph
builds upon the graph-oriented nature of Pregel but additionally adds fault-tolerance to the
coordinator process with the use of ZooKeeper as its centralized coordination service.  Additionally,
Giraph will include a library of generic graph algorithms.

>> == Background ==
>>
>> Giraph was initially began development as a side project at Yahoo! at the end of
2010.  It was made functional in a month and then started adding various features.  Development
has been focused on internal customers needs until this point.

>> == Rationale ==
>>
>> Web and online social graphs have been rapidly growing in size and scale during the
past decade.  In 2008, Google estimated that the number of web pages reached over a trillion.
 Online social networking and email sites, including Yahoo!, Google, Microsoft, Facebook,
LinkedIn, and Twitter, have hundreds of millions of users and are expected to grow much more
in the future.  Processing these graphs plays a big role in relevant and personalized information
for users, such as results from a search engine or news in an online social networking site.

>> == Initial Goals ==
>>
>> At this point, most of the functionality has been implemented and we are looking
to get more adoption and contributions from users outside Yahoo!.   We want to ensure that
performance scales and that the code is robust and fault tolerant.

>> == Current Status ==
>>
>> === Meritocracy ===
>>
>> Giraph was initially developed by Avery Ching and Christian Kunz beginning in December
2010 at Yahoo!.  There are other developers using Giraph at Yahoo! that are making suggestions
and adding code.  We are reaching out to other folks at social networking companies for additional
usage and development.

>> === Community ===
>>
>> Several groups who are interested in either joining our project or using our code
have contacted us.  We certainly believe that there is a lot of interest and are actively
looking to improve and expand the community.

>> === Core Developers ===
>>
>> * Avery Ching: Wrote a majority of the code
>> * Christian Kunz: Wrote most of the communication code and security integration with
Hadoop

>> === Alignment ===
>>
>> Giraph uses several Apache projects as its underlying infrastructure (Hadoop and
ZooKeeper).   It also builds on Apache Maven.

>> == Known Risks ==
>>
>> === Orphaned products ===
>>
>> There are many social networking companies that would be interested in using this
graph-processing framework and we have already received interest from some of them.  Yahoo!
is already using this code in production and will certainly continue to use it in the future
as well.

>> === Inexperience with Open Source ===
>>
>> While the initial developers have limited experience on contributing to open-source
projects, Yahoo! as a company has a strong commitment to open-source and we have several advisors
that we can ask for help.

>> === Homogenous Developers ===
>>
>> At this time, the project is relatively young and the developers work at only two
companies (Yahoo! and Jybe).  However, given the interest we have seen in the project, we
expect the diversity to improve in the near future.

>> === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>>
>> Currently Giraph is being developed by a combination of salaried and volunteer time.
 We expect that other corporations will take an interest in this project and likely contribute
with salaried developers.  Some individuals will likely spend volunteer time on it as well.
 It is still early in their project and we are hoping for a lot of growth.

>> === Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
>>
>> Giraph depends on many Apache projects: Hadoop, ZooKeeper, Log4j, Commons, etc.
It is built using Apache Maven.

>> Giraph has some overlapping functionality with Apache Hama.  However, there are some
significant differences.  Giraph focuses on graph-based bulk synchronous parallel (BSP) computing,
while Apache Hama is more for general purposed BSP computing.  Giraph runs on the Hadoop infrastructure,
while Apache Hama uses its own computing framework.

>> === An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
>>
>> The Apache brand is likely to help us find contributors, however, our interests in
Apache are primarily because the other projects that we depend on are also Apache projects
and it makes sense that all this software be available from the same place.

 It is already available on GitHub at https://github.com/aching/Giraph.

>> === Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ===
>>
>> We intend the entire code base to be licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.
>>
>> === External Dependencies ===
>>
>> The required dependencies are all Apache compatible licenses.  The following components
with non-Apache licenses are enumerated:
>> * JSON – Public Domain
>>
>> === Cryptography ===
>>
>> Giraph depends on secure Hadoop that can optionally use Kerberos.
>>
>> == Required Resources ==
>>
>> === Mailing lists ===
>>
>> * giraph-private (with moderated subscriptions)
>> * giraph-dev
>> * giraph-commits
>> * giraph-users
>>
>> === Subversion Directory ===
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/giraph
>>
>> === Issue Tracking ===
>>
>> JIRA Giraph (GIRAPH)
>>
>> === Other Resources ===
>>
>> Giraph has integration tests that can be run with the LocalJobRunner.  These same
tests also designed to be run on a small (even single node) Hadoop cluster.  While not required
at this time, it would be nice if such a resource were available.

>> === Initial Committers ===
>>
>> * Avery Ching, aching at yahoo-inc dot com
>> * Christian Kunz, christian at jybe-inc dot com
>> * Owen O’Malley, owen at hortonworks dot com
>> * Phillip Rhodes, prhodes at apache dot org
>> * Hyunsik Choi, hyunsik at apache dot org
>> * Jakob Homan, jghoman at apache dot org
>> * Arun Suresh, asuresh at yahoo-inc dot com
>>
>> === Affiliations ===
>>
>> * Avery Ching, Yahoo!
>> * Christian Kunz, Jybe
>> * Owen O'Malley, Hortonworks
>> * Phillip Rhodes, Fogbeam Labs
>> * Hyunsik Choi, Database Lab, Korea University
>> * Jakob Homan, LinkedIn
>> * Arun Suresh, Yahoo!
>>
>> == Sponsors ==
>>
>> === Champion ===