incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Retire Bluesky Podling
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 23:27:36 GMT
+1 for retiring Bluesky

I believe that the Bluesky project is well-intentioned but just
doesn't belong at Apache.

The coders do not use mail lists for discussions of design, code,
infrastructure, or other aspects of project management that Apache
projects must do. "If it didn't happen on the mail lists, it didn't
happen." This would tell me that nothing is happening, yet code
appears out of thin air.

The coders are not committers. There is no path for coders to become
committers. Coders appear this year and disappear the next.

Despite multiple attempts to teach Bluesky members what it means to be
an Apache project, no progress has been made.

I think we should wish them well in their new home, wherever that
happens to be.

Craig

On Jul 1, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> +1 (Binding)
>
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com
> > wrote:
>> +1 to retire Bluesky (binding)
>>
>> I see no reason for suspending the vote. We've been round this
>> particular merry-go-round many times already. Each time we're told
>> "we'll do better". The votes been called lets just move on, the ASF
>> is
>> not the right home for this project for the reasons already
>> discussed.
>>
>> Ross
>>
>> On 28 June 2011 06:49, berndf <berndf@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> this is a vote to retire the Bluesky podling.
>>>
>>> 3.5 years into incubation, the podling has not made progress in
>>> terms of
>>> becoming an Apache project. Dev is still done behind closed doors,
>>> and
>>> developers are changing frequently without notifications on the
>>> public
>>> lists. Mentors are M.I.A. Reports are often late. No Apache
>>> release was
>>> every made.
>>>
>>> There were multiple attempts to reboot the podling (Thanks Luciano!)
>>> without much success.
>>>
>>> So now I'm calling a vote to end Incubation for Bluesky.
>>> The vote is open at least until 2011-07-02 12:00 UTC.
>>>
>>> [] +1, retire Bluesky for the time being
>>> [] -0/+0, I'm undecided
>>> [] -1, I will step up as a mentor, so let's give it another try
>>>
>>> Thanks for voting,
>>>
>>>  Bernd

>> --
>> Ross Gardler (@rgardler)