incubator-general mailing list archives

From Avery Ching <ach...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Proposing Giraph for the Apache Incubator
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:26:46 GMT
Hello,

Thank you for taking a look at the proposal and for your questions.  I've responded to your
questions inline.

Avery

On Jul 23, 2011, at 5:38 AM, florent andré wrote:

> Hi Avery,
>
> Be careful, newbie here ! :)
>
> I read your proposal with attention and also this presentation [1].
>
> So my questions are :
> - What are the differences / similiarities between Giraph and triples
> store like Jena ?

Giraph is graph processing infrastructure that has input and output formats for the user to
denote how to load/store their graph.  Users are free to use whatever backend store they would
like (i.e. HDFS, HBase, neo4j, a triple store, etc.).

> - Does Giraph provide (or will provide) a convenient way to "request /
> query" graph (like sparql for example) ?

Giraph is not a query language.  It is meant to run large-scale graph algorithms.

> May they are silly questions, but from a 100 feet point of view both are
> about graph processing...and surely have a big difference I can't see
> with my babies eyes...
>
> Thank for your insights
> Have a good path with Giraph ! :)

No problem.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

> [1] http://www.slideshare.net/averyching/20110628giraph-hadoop-summit
>
> On 07/15/2011 08:14 PM, Avery Ching wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to propose Giraph as an Apache Incubator project.  Giraph is a large-scale
graph processing infrastructure (inspired by Pregel) that runs entirely on Hadoop.  Giraph
applications and MapReduce jobs coexist on shared Hadoop instances and Giraph applications
can be part of Oozie workflows as a normal MapReduce job.

>> Here is a link to the proposal in our GitHub wiki:
>>
>> https://github.com/aching/Giraph/wiki/Apache-Incubator-Proposal
>>
>> The proposal is also inlined below:
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Avery
>>

>> = Giraph : Large-scale graph processing on Hadoop =
>>
>> == Abstract ==
>>
>> Giraph is a large-scale, fault-tolerant, Bulk Synchronous Parallel (BSP)-based graph
processing framework.

>> == Proposal ==
>>
>> Graph processing platforms to run large-scale algorithms (such as page rank, shared
connections, personalization-based popularity, etc.) have become quite popular.  Some recent
examples include Pregel and HaLoop.  For general-purpose big data computation, the MapReduce
computation model is widely adopted and the most deployed MapReduce infrastructure is Apache
Hadoop.  We have implemented a graph-processing framework that is launched as a typical Hadoop
MapReduce job to leverage existing Hadoop infrastructure, such as Amazon’s EC2.  Giraph
builds upon the graph-oriented nature of Pregel but additionally adds fault-tolerance to the
coordinator process with the use of ZooKeeper as its centralized coordination service.  Additionally,
Giraph will include a library of generic graph algorithms.

>> == Background ==
>>
>> Giraph was initially began development as a side project at Yahoo! at the end of
2010.  It was made functional in a month and then started adding various features.  Development
has been focused on internal customers needs until this point.

>> == Rationale ==
>>
>> Web and online social graphs have been rapidly growing in size and scale during the
past decade.  In 2008, Google estimated that the number of web pages reached over a trillion.
 Online social networking and email sites, including Yahoo!, Google, Microsoft, Facebook,
LinkedIn, and Twitter, have hundreds of millions of users and are expected to grow much more
in the future.  Processing these graphs plays a big role in relevant and personalized information
for users, such as results from a search engine or news in an online social networking site.

>> == Initial Goals ==
>>
>> At this point, most of the functionality has been implemented and we are looking
to get more adoption and contributions from users outside Yahoo!.   We want to ensure that
performance scales and that the code is robust and fault tolerant.

>> == Current Status ==
>>
>> === Meritocracy ===
>>
>> Giraph was initially developed by Avery Ching and Christian Kunz beginning in December
2010 at Yahoo!.  There are other developers using Giraph at Yahoo! that are making suggestions
and adding code.  We are reaching out to other folks at social networking companies for additional
usage and development.

>> === Community ===
>>
>> Several groups who are interested in either joining our project or using our code
have contacted us.  We certainly believe that there is a lot of interest and are actively
looking to improve and expand the community.

>> === Core Developers ===
>>
>> Avery Ching: Wrote a majority of the code
>> Christian Kunz: Wrote most of the communication code and security integration with
Hadoop

>> === Alignment ===
>>
>> Giraph uses several Apache projects as its underlying infrastructure (Hadoop and
ZooKeeper).   It also builds on Apache Maven.

>> == Known Risks ==
>>
>> === Orphaned products ===
>>
>> There are many social networking companies that would be interested in using this
graph-processing framework and we have already received interest from some of them.  Yahoo!
is already using this code in production and will certainly continue to use it in the future
as well.

>> === Inexperience with Open Source ===
>>
>> While the initial developers have limited experience on contributing to open-source
projects, Yahoo! as a company has a strong commitment to open-source and we have several advisors
that we can ask for help.

>> === Homogenous Developers ===
>>
>> At this time, the project is relatively young and the developers work at only two
companies (Yahoo! and Jybe).  However, given the interest we have seen in the project, we
expect the diversity to improve in the near future.

>> === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>>
>> Currently Giraph is being developed by a combination of salaried and volunteer time.
 We expect that other corporations will take an interest in this project and likely contribute
with salaried developers.  Some individuals will likely spend volunteer time on it as well.
 It is still early in their project and we are hoping for a lot of growth.

>> === Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
>>
>> Giraph depends on many Apache projects: Hadoop, ZooKeeper, Log4j, Commons, etc.
It is built using Apache Maven.

>> Giraph has some overlapping functionality with Apache Hama.  However, there are some
significant differences.  Giraph focuses on graph-based bulk synchronous parallel (BSP) computing,
while Apache Hama is more for general purposed BSP computing.  Giraph runs on the Hadoop infrastructure,
while Apache Hama uses its own computing framework.

>> === An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
>>
>> The Apache brand is likely to help us find contributors, however, our interests in
Apache are primarily because the other projects that we depend on are also Apache projects
and it makes sense that all this software be available from the same place.

 It is already available on GitHub at https://github.com/aching/Giraph.

>> === Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ===
>>
>> We intend the entire code base to be licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.
>>
>> === External Dependencies ===
>>
>> The required dependencies are all Apache compatible licenses.  The following components
with non-Apache licenses are enumerated:
>> * JSON – Public Domain
>>
>> === Cryptography ===
>>
>> Giraph depends on secure Hadoop that can optionally use Kerberos.
>>
>> == Required Resources ==
>>
>> === Mailing lists ===
>>
>> * giraph-private (with moderated subscriptions)
>> * giraph-dev
>> * giraph-commits
>> * giraph-users
>>
>> === Subversion Directory ===
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/giraph
>>
>> === Issue Tracking ===
>>
>> JIRA Giraph (GIRAPH)
>>
>> === Other Resources ===
>>
>> Giraph has integration tests that can be run with the LocalJobRunner.  These same
tests also designed to be run on a small (even single node) Hadoop cluster.  While not required
at this time, it would be nice if such a resource were available.