incubator-general mailing list archives

From Avery Ching <ach...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Proposing Giraph for the Apache Incubator
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2011 03:55:46 GMT
Ed,

Offline, you and I have discussed potential future collaboration in our projects.  However,
there are significant differences in our approaches today.

* Hama has been focused on BSP computing.  It only recently (June 30 - about 16 days ago)
opened a JIRA for graph processing (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-409).  Giraph
has been focused on BSP-based graph processing from day one.
* Giraph runs entirely on the Hadoop infrastructure today.  It it meant to be used on shared
Hadoop clusters and integrated as part of Oozie pipelines.  Today, Hama uses its own infrastructure
and is pretty much a stand-alone system, only using HDFS.
* Giraph has focused on fault-tolerance and dynamic resource usage in a shared Hadoop cluster.
 These are infrastructure-specific challenges that have a lot of value for our users and we
will continue to focus and improve on this.

As we have discussed, things may change when next-gen Hadoop is released, however, that might
take some time.  And when it is released, it will take some time for it to be stable enough
to deploy to our installations.  I think it is productive for us to share ideas (as we have
been doing), but also useful to have separate projects as they are different enough now and
cater to a different set of users.

Even if these projects do overlap one day, under the incubator proposal guidelines (http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html)
in the section 'Relationships with Other Apache Products', it reads:

"Apache allows different projects to have competing or overlapping goals. However, this should
mean friendly competition between codebases and cordial cooperation between communities.

It is not always obvious whether a candidate is a direct competitor to an existing project,
an indirect competitor (same problem space, different ecological niche) or are just peers
with some overlap. In the case of indirect competition, it is important that the abstract
describes accurately the niche. Direct competitors should expect to be asked to summarize
architectural differences and similarities to existing projects."

Based on that statement, I expect that if Giraph is accepted in the Apache Incubator, our
projects will hopefully be able to share ideas and grow together.

Thanks,

Avery