incubator-general mailing list archives

From donald_harbi...@us.ibm.com
Subject Introducing Me - Don Harbison
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 18:25:34 GMT
Hi Everyone,

Please allow me to introduce myself. I know many of you on this list
already, either personally, in a direct way or indirectly, due to my work
over the last  6 years. But I am a newbie at Apache and learning the
Apache Way. While I am an IBMer, I commit that I will emulate Sam Ruby's
fine example and be careful to wear my brand new Apache Hat here. Catch me
off this list / project if you want me to speak as an IBMer.

I work in IBM's Open Standards team where we have a bunch of folks on
various standards committees across a broad spectrum of standards
development organizations. I work on ODF in alot of different ways: At
OASIS I have chaired the ODF Adoption TC since March 2006. Folks from TDF
and OOo, and others in the industry and gov't are members. I am also on
the main ODF TC, and the ODF Interoperability and Conformance TC.

My colleagues in the IBM Collaboration Solution division work on Symphony,
and yes, I do work with them on ODF and OpenOffice Technology issues. You
will no doubt have noticed that the Symphony development team reps have
signed on today also. There is no intent to go nuts here, and put a large
team on the project, but we want to prove that we are genuine about our
plans to contribute more robustly than we have been able to do in the
past. Hopefully, you will hold  us to this commitment. I'm sure you will.
:)

I believe I was the first IBM person to show up at OpenOffice.org when I
attended the 2005 conference in Koper, Slovenia. Since then I have been
the de facto IBM liaison to OpenOffice.org, providing annual sponsorship
funds, helping to encourage IBM participation and contribution to OOo on
many different levels. I helped get IBM to sign on as a member of
OpenOffice.org in Sep 2007.  Believe it or not, I have the scars on my
back with respect to our attempts to make code contributions to OOo.
Throughout this experience, I hope I can say without reservation that I
have made many friends in OOo and many of those friends are now with TDF
and LibreOffice.

My goal with this project proposal is to work and deliver on the
non-coding side of the house; i.e. branding, communications, events,
community development and ODF ecosystem project deliverables when
relevant. I am passionate about the software, whatever it's called, and
have alot of respect and appreciation for those who have labored long and
hard to make the software as great as it is today.

So 'Nice to meet you!' Let's get on with it.

/don