incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenOffice.org for incubation
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 06:09:51 GMT
+1

Ralph

On Jun 10, 2011, at 9:02 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> *** Please change your Subject: line for any [DISCUSSION] of this [VOTE]
>
> As the discussions on the OpenOfficeProposal threads seem to be winding down, I would
like to initiate the vote to accept OpenOffice.org as an Apache Incubator project.

> At the end of this mail, I've put a copy of the current proposal.  Here is a link to
the document in the wiki:

> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal?action=recall&rev=207
>
> As the proposal discussion threads are numerous, I encourage people to scan and review
the archives for this month:

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201106.mbox/browser
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept OpenOffice.org for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to OpenOffice.org incubation
> [  ] -1 Reject OpenOffice.org for incubation
>
> This vote will close 72 hours from now.
>
> - Sam Ruby
>
> = OpenOffice.org - An open productivity environment =
> == Abstract ==
> !OpenOffice.org is comprised of six personal productivity applications: a word processor
(and its web-authoring component), spreadsheet, presentation graphics, drawing, equation editor,
and database. !OpenOffice.org is released on Windows, Solaris, Linux and Macintosh operation
systems, with more [[http://porting.openoffice.org/|communities]] joining, including a mature
 [[http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/|FreeBSD port]]. !OpenOffice.org is localized, supporting
over 110 languages worldwide.

> == Proposal ==
> Apache !OpenOffice.org will continue the mission pursued by the !OpenOffice.org project
while under the sponsorship of Sun and Oracle, namely:

> "To create, as a community, the leading international office suite that  will run on
all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and  data through open-component
based APIs and an XML-based file format."

> In addition to to building the !OpenOffice.org product, as an end-user facing product
with many existing individual and corporate users, this project will also be active in supporting
end-users via tutorials, user forums, document template repositories, etc.  The project will
also work to further enable !OpenOffice.org to be used as a programmable module in document
automation scenarios.

> == Background ==
> !OpenOffice.org was launched as an open source project by Sun Microsystems in June 2000.
 !OpenOffice.org was originally developed under the name of StarOffice by Star Division, a
German company, which was acquired by Sun Microsystems in 1999.  Sun released this as open
source in 2000.  !OpenOffice.org is the leading alternative to MS-Office available.  Its most
recent major version, the 3.x series saw over [[http://www.webmasterpro.de/portal/news/2010/02/05/international-openoffice-market-shares.html|100
million downloads]] in its first year.  The [[http://www.webmasterpro.de/portal/news/2010/02/05/international-openoffice-market-shares.html|most
recent estimates]] suggest a market share on the order of 8-15%.

> The !OpenOffice source is written in C++ and delivers language-neutral and scriptable
functionality. This source technology introduces the next-stage architecture, allowing use
of the suite elements as separate applications or as embedded components in other applications.
Numerous other features are also present including XML-based file formats based on the vendor-neutral
!OpenDocument Format (ODF) standard from OASIS and other resources.

> == Rationale ==
> !OpenOffice.org core development would continue at Apache following the contribution
by Oracle, in accordance with Apache bylaws and its usual open development processes. Both
Oracle and ASF agree that the !OpenOffice.org development community, previously fragmented,
would re-unite under ASF to ensure a stable and long term future for OpenOffice.org. ASF would
enable corporate, non-profit, and volunteer stakeholders to contribute code in a collaborative
fashion.

> Supporting tooling projects will accompany the !OpenOffice.org contribution, providing
APIs for extending and customizing !OpenOffice.org.

> Both !OpenOffice.org and the related tooling projects support the OASIS Open Document
Format, and will attract an ecosystem of developers, ISVs and Systems Integrators. ODF ensures
the users of !OpenOffice.org and related solutions will own their document data, and be free
to choose the application or solution that best meets their requirements.

> The !OpenOffice.org implementation will serve as a reference implementation of the Open
Document Format standard.

> = Current Status =
> == Meritocracy ==
> We understand the intention and value of meritocracy at Apache.  We are particularly
gratified to learn, during the discussion on this proposal, that there is a strong role for
non-coders to participate in this meritocracy and as they demonstrate their sustained commitment
and merit, to take on additional community responsibilities.

> The initial developers are very familiar with open source development, both at Apache
and elsewhere. Apache was chosen specifically because Oracle as contributor, and IBM as Sponsor,
as well as the initial developers, want to encourage this style of development for the project.
A diverse developer community is regarded as necessary for a healthy, stable, long term !OpenOffice.org
project.

> == Community ==
> The !OpenOffice.org project, over its 10+ years of existence has spawned a diverse set
of derived applications, each associated with its own set of communities. Some of the more
prominent applications built on !OpenOffice.org include:

> * !LibreOffice
>
> * [[http://wiki.ooo4kids.org|OOo4Kids]] / [[http://wiki.ooolight.org|OOoLight]]
>
> * IBM Lotus Symphony
> * !RedFlag China 2000 !RedOffice
>
> * !NeoOffice
>
> * !EurOffice
>
> A fuller picture of the range of customizations of !OpenOffice.org is illustrated in
this time line:

> {{http://www.robweir.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/oo-forks.png}}
>
> Each of these products has one more more associated communities, which might include:
>
> 1. a user community
> 1. a developer community
> 1. a community of supporter, promoters, trainers, consultants, e.g., an extended ecosystem
>
> In some cases the development effort for the derived project consists of repackaging
the core !OpenOffice.org code with additional plugins, fonts, clipart, in other cases an additional
language translation is added bundled with additional language tools (spell checking dictionaries,
grammar proofers), and in other cases the development work involves changes of the core components.

> In some cases the communities coordinate closely with the parent !OpenOffice.org projects,
in other cases they have effectively "forked" into independent projects, and in some cases
we really have no idea who they are or what they are doing. For example, screen shots of the
secretive North Korean "Red Star" computer system indicate that it is likely using a customized
version of !OpenOffice.

> The above community relations are as much social as business. The annual !OpenOffice.org
Conference has, for many years, been an important event on the calendar for community members,
a "gathering of the clans" and generally brings in the "extended family" of projects, often
including non-!OpenOffice.org based projects that interoperate with !OpenOffice.org via the
!OpenDocument Format (ODF) document format, e.g., Google Docs, Microsoft Office, !AbiWord,
Calligra Suite/KOffice. We want to continue this tradition with members of any eventual Apache
!OpenOffice TLP, in conjunction with the extended community of derived projects.

> One of our goals with this incubation project will be to rationalize and formalize the
coordination of these upstream and downstream contribution, basing it on the Apache 2.0 license,
which should help us disseminate enhancements to the core more easily, since this license
is easily consumed by all derivatives, even those with copyleft licenses. We need to identify
which functions performed by the broader network of communities are a good fit for an eventual
Apache TLP, and which things fit better outside of Apache.We also need to respect that the
maintainers of these derivatives of !OpenOffice.org have a lot of pride in their distributions
and value their independent names and websites. So it is not reasonable to expect that they
will wish to be folded into a single "vanilla" Apache !OpenOffice.org. However, we must do
what is possible to encourage and further develop a thriving ecosystem around this project.

> One possible outcome is that we encourage the core development of the editors to occur
in Apache, while making it easy, via a modular extension mechanism, a modular install, etc.
for others to customize and redistribute as permitted by the Apache 2.0 license.

> == Collaboration with LibreOffice ==
> The !LibreOffice project is an important partner in the !OpenOffice.org community, with
an established focus on the GNU/Linux community as well as on Windows and Mac consumer end-users.
The Apache !OpenOffice project will seek to build a constructive working and technical relationship
so that the source code developed at Apache can be readily used downstream by !LibreOffice,
as well as exploring ways for their upstream contributions to be integrated.

> There will be other ways we will be able to collaborate, including jointly sponsored
events, interoperability 'plugfests', standards development, shared build management infrastructure,
shared release mirrors, coordination of build schedules and version numbers, defect lists,
and other downstream requirements. We will make this relationship a priority early in the
life of the podlet.

> == Core Developers ==
> The initial set of committers include developers and other contributors to !OpenOffice.org,
as well members of other derived products, open source and commercial, including Symphony,
RedOffice, LibreOffice, EducOOo, etc.   These committers have varying degrees of experience
with Apache-style open source development, ranging from none to ASF Members.

> == Marketing ==
> Since its origins, !OpenOffice.org has had a healthy group of volunteers committed to
marketing with "!MarCons" in many countries. There are existing initiatives that combine marketing
with the possibility of raising independent funds, for example through EU grant applications
related to the Life Long Learning programme, the certification project and developing the
selling of marketing collateral around the OpenOffice.org brand. There is potential to independently
raise money to substantially improve the quality and take up of the code that was not realised
previously.

> == Education ==
> Create a '''strong bridge between !OpenOffice.org and the Educational World''' :
>
> * Provide a place for !OpenOffice.org users, in Education context: discuss about adapt
!OpenOffice.org to your pedagogy, your needs ..etc (all levels of Education are concerned
)

experiment and reverse the best code to be integrated, following the [[http://education.openoffice.org|OpenOffice.org
Education Project model]] and the [[http://www.educoo.org|EducOOo effort]].

> * !OpenOffice.org has also maintained various mentoring projects and efforts and are
in demand

> == Alignment ==
> The developers of !OpenOffice.org will want to work with the Apache Software Foundation
specifically because Apache has proven to provide a strong foundation and set of practices
for developing standards-based infrastructure and related components. Additionally, the project
may evolve to support cloud and mobile platforms from its starting point of desktop operating
systems.

> = Known Risks =
> == Orphaned products ==
> We are encouraged by the strong initial response that news of this proposal has attracted,
 quickly growing from two to over 80 proposed committers.  Among those names are individuals
who have been involved with this project for 10 years or more.  In addition to the individual
volunteers, there is a __significant__[[http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34638.wss|corporate
committment]].  The risk, as in most projects, is to grow the project and maintain diversity.
 This is a priority that is keenly desired by the community.

> == Inexperience with Open Source ==
> The initial developers include long-time open source developers, including Apache Members.
Although the vast majority of proposed committers do not have Apache experience, they do have
open source experience.  For example, the names from *openoffice.org addresses were involved
with the project previously.

> The inexperience risk is also mitigated by the strong list of mentors who have signed
up to support this project.

> == Homogeneous Developers ==
> !OpenOffice.org for many years was managed by Sun, who provided the majority of its engineering
resources as well as its direction. Moving this project to Apache enables a new start and
provide a broad framework.  We intend to engage in strong recruitment efforts in order to
further strengthen and diversify this project.

> In terms of geographic diversity, the project has strong European participation.  This
reflects the historical core of the development effort in this project.  We wish to diversify
this more, especially encouraging greater participation from CJK, India and South America.

> == Reliance on Salaried Developers ==
> The initial group of proposed committers does not appear to be dominated by a single
company.  However, when we look at sponsored developers, with the ability to work on this
project full time, IBM clearly has more committers.  We beleive that this situation will change,
as the project developers.  The value of this code under a the permissive Apache 2.0 license
will attract and encourage opportunities, not only for existing software vendors, but also
for new ventures.  This is a new opportunity, not previously permitted to the same degree
by the project's previous license.  This combined with a strong recruitment effort will help
remove the project reliance on developers from any single company.

> == Relationships with Other Apache Products ==
> Several potential areas for collaboration with other Apache projects have been suggested,
including:

> [[http://poi.apache.org|Apache POI]] potentially, if POI extends to support ODF, the
default file format of !OpenOffice.org. (and initial discussions on this have been promising)

> [[http://tika.apache.org/|Apache Tika]] is a generic toolkit for extracting text and
metadata from various file formats. Improving ODF support with tools from OOo is an obvious
area of interest for Tika.

> [[http://pdfbox.apache.org/|Apache PDFBox]] is a Java library for working with PDF documents.
If not direct code sharing over the Java / C++ divide, then at least sharing of PDF know-how
and perhaps things like test cases between these projects would be great.

> [[http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/|Apache XML Graphics]] for SVG related libraries
>
> [[http://community.apache.org/|Community Development]]
>
> We are interested in further exploring these options.
>
> == A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==
> !OpenOffice.org in itself is a very strong brand.  Our primary interest is in the processes,
systems, and framework Apache has put in place around open source software development more
than any fascination with the brand.

under a variety of licenses.  A list of these dependencies can be found [[http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/External/Modules|here]].

> We acknowledge that it is a podling graduation requirement to review these dependencies
and to get the product into conformance with Apache requirements.  The details will vary on
a  case-by-case basis, but options available to us include:

> * Substitute an external dependency with one having a compatible license
> * Contact the owner of a dependency and asking for a compatible license
> * Replace a source dependency with an unmodified binary dependency
> * Make a feature be optional, or user-installed
> * Rewrite a feature to avoid the external dependency
> * Remove a feature along with its external dependencies
>
> Note: This task will be aided by the help of project members who work on IBM Lotus Symphony,
who are familiar with many of these issues from a similar effort done on that product.

> == Cryptography ==
> !OpenOffice.org supports digital signatures and encryption of documents.  The project
will complete any needed export control paperwork related to these features.

> == Required Resources ==
> Note: It is recommended that after this proposal is accepted, that there be a consultation
with ASF Legal Affairs on the trademark *before* any project infrastructure is created.

> === Mailing Lists ===
> The following mailing lists:
>
> * `ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org` - for developer discussions
>
> * `ooo-commits@incubator.apache.org` - for Subversion commit messages
>
> * `ooo-issues@incubator.apache.org` - for JIRA change notifications
>
> * `ooo-notifications@incubator.apache.org` - for continuous build/test notifications
>
> '''Note''': a users mailing is not being requested at this time. It is anticipated that
users will interact with the community through existing !OpenOffice.org systems, which are
forums, based on phpBB.

> === Other resources ===
> A subversion repository
>
> A JIRA issue tracker: short code "OOo"
>
> Pootle server (suggested for localization centralization)
>
> phpBB end-user forums
>
> Download site
>
> TBD: some idea of how much build infrastructure measured in hardware.
>
> Oracle will assist in the transition and migration from !OpenOffice.org. All of the content
has already been archived and is ready for the ASF infrastructure group to act on.

> == Initial Committers ==
> In order to help encourage the creation of a broad and diverse project built upon merit,
as required of an Apache project, we have not loaded the initial committer list with contributors
from a single company. Our intention is for the initial committer list to be representative
of the various users of OOo code. It is perfectly all right to have your name on this list
if you contribute in another way than to commit program code (please maintain alphabetical
ordering).
> ||<tablewidth="897px" tableheight="714px">'''Name''' ||'''Email''' ||'''Affiliation'''
||'''iCLA''' ||
> ||Kai Ahrens ||ka at openoffice dot org ||Individual !OpenOffice.org, [[http://graphics.openoffice.org|graphics.openoffice.org]]
|| ||
> ||Eric Bachard ||ericb at openoffice dot org ||[[http://www.educoo.org|EducOOo]],[[http://education.openoffice.org/|Education
Project]] || ||
> ||Mathias Bauer ||mba at openoffice dot org ||Individual !OpenOffice.org ||yes ||
> ||Stephan Bergmann || sb@openoffice.org ||Individual !OpenOffice.org || ||
> ||Raphael Bircher || r.bircher@gmx.ch ||[[http://www.raphaelbircher.ch|Individual]] !OpenOffice.org
QA, and Infrastructure || ||
/ [[http://wiki.ooolight.org|OOoLight]] designer || ||
> ||Andy Brown ||andy at the-marin-byrd dot net ||Individual ||yes ||
> ||Simon Brouwer ||simonbr at openoffice dot org ||[[http://nl.openoffice.org/|Dutch Native
Language Project]] ||yes ||
> ||Alexandro Colorado || jza@openoffice.org ||[[http://education.openoffice.org/|Education
Project]] || ||
> ||Fred-Juan DIAZ ||fred-juan.diaz at educoo dot org ||[[http://www.educoo.org|EducOOo]]
tester || ||
> ||Robert Burrell Donkin || rdonkin@apache.org ||Individual ||yes ||
> ||Olaf Felka ||of at openoffice.org ||individual, QA, [[http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/FrameworkTeamsite/ooQA-TeamFramework.html|Framework]]
|| ||
> ||David Fisher || wave@apache.org ||individual ||yes ||
> ||Marcelo Horacio Fortino || mfortino@estrategiasgnulinux.com ||Individual || ||
> ||Jaime R. Garza ||<<MailTo(garzaj AT SPAMFREE gmail DOT com)>> ||Individual
|| ||
> ||Roman Gelbort || elproferoman@openoffice.org ||[[http://openoffice.org/people/307558-elproferoman|Spanish
and Marketing project]] || ||
> ||Luis E. Vasquez || levarcol@openoffice.org ||Individual || ||
> ||Christian Grobmeier ||grobmeier AT apache dor org ||Individual ||yes ||
> ||Wolf Halton || wolf.halton@gmail.com ||http://atlantacloudtech.com || ||
> ||Dennis E. Hamilton || dennis.hamilton@acm.org ||Individual ([[orcmid]]) || ||
> ||Ivo Hinkelmann ||ihi at openoffice dot org ||Individual || ||
> ||Eric Hoch || maveric@openoffice.org ||Co-Lead [[http://de.openoffice.org/|German Native
Language Project]], MacPorting Project || ||
> ||Martin Hollmichel || mh@openoffice.org ||Release Manager, OOo external project lead
|| ||
> ||imacat || imacat@mail.imacat.idv.tw ||[[http://educoo.tw|EducOOo Taiwan]], [[http://zh.openoffice.org|Traditional
Chinese]] || ||
Performance]], [[http://council.openoffice.org/esc|OOo ESC]] || ||
[[http://extensions.openoffice.org|Extensions]] || ||
> ||Jomar Silva ||homembit at gmail ||Individual ([[http://www.homembit.com|homembit]])
|| ||
[[http://openoffice.org/people/4-Stefan-Taxhet|OpenOffice.org]] || ||
[[http://security.openoffice.org/|OpenOffice.org Security]] and Accessibility || ||
[[http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:DrewJensen|OpenOffice]] ||yes ||
> ||Graham Lauder || yorick_@openoffice.org ||!OpenOffice.org !MarCon [[http://marketing.openoffice.org/contacts.html|(Marketing
Contact) New Zealand]] || ||
> ||Florent André || florent@apache.org ||individual ||yes ||
> ||Allen Pulsifer ||pulsifer at openoffice.org ||individual || ||
> ||Herbert Duerr || hdu@openoffice.org ||individual || ||
> ||Kazunari Hirano || khirano@openoffice.org ||individual || ||
> ||Kent Åberg || kent.aberg@newformat.se ||[[http://www.newformat.se/newformat/eng/newformat-home-index.html|NewFormat]]
|| ||
> ||Maho NAKATA || maho@openoffice.org ||ja/qa project lead, FBSD porting || ||
> ||Miguel Á. Ríos ||mariosv@miguelangel dot mobi ||Individual || ||
> ||Dave !McKay || thegurkha@openoffice.org ||Individual || ||
> ||Louis Suárez-Potts || louis@openoffice.org ||individual || ||
> ||Fernand Vanrie || sos@pmg.be ||individual || ||
> ||Arthur Buijs || artietee@openoffice.org ||[[http://nl.openoffice.org/|Dutch Native
Language Project]] ||Yes ||
> ||Dave Barton || db@tasit.net ||[[http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org|Tutorials For
OpenOffice]] || ||
> ||Jian Fang Zhang || zhangjf@cn.ibm.com ||[[http://symphony.lotus.com|IBM, Symphony Chief
Programmer, G11N, Security]] ||Yes ||
forum admin]],[[http://fr.openoffice.org/|French Project webmaster]] || ||
> ||Damjan Jovanovic || damjan@apache.org ||individual ||yes ||
> ||Fernando Cassia || fcassia@sdf.lonestar.org ||individual || ||
>

> = Sponsors =
> == Champion ==
> Sam Ruby, Apache Foundation
>
> == Nominated Mentors ==
> Because of the scope and complexity of this proposed project, we believe that the incubation
process would benefit from multiple mentors, especially ones willing to be the "point person"
for each of the following disciplines: