incubator-general mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: "opportunity to reunite the related communities" Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Splitting the Community?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 19:00:59 GMT

On 3 Jun 2011, at 19:47, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2011, at 2:35 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:
>

>> More than that, I'd like to see it as an objective to facilitate this
>> collaboration. There's too much talk of just giving up and treating
>> ideological division as a given...
>>

> Well, the ASF develops and releases software under the AL... that
> *is* a given. If people are wondering if we would change our license
> or even allow dual-licensing, then that is not going to happen.
>
> Not anything in particular about OOo. It's just the fact.

I am not even thinking of suggesting it, any more than I would dream of telling TDF they have
to switch to another license. But I do believe there's a need to focus *in the proposal* on
exactly how to sustain the consumer deliverable from Day One. That will inevitably involve
a mix of licenses as the code you're receiving from Oracle has a mix of licenses, so it's
not obvious to me why licensing is relevant *on day one*.

> Let's be honest: by "collaborate" you mean have the ASF simply
> xfer the code and the trademark to TDF and walk away... At least,
> that is the strong impression you give. Please correct me if I'm
> wrong.

No, not at all. I'm suggesting ASF ask LibreOffice to help it out of a bind temporarily.

> And I offer a personal apology to Simon...

Accepted - apologies if my strong reaction to the unexpected news at the start of the week
on <the service Sam won't let me name> offended you.

S.