incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: OOo - Lines in the sand and pre-determined conclusions...
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 00:03:58 GMT
Cor Nouws wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote (06-06-11 23:51)
>> Conclusion:
>>
>> "I do not believe the ASF is likely to provide a good home for the
>> OO.o project in the long run."
>>
>> Supporting statements:
>> [...]
>
> Supporting explanation ;-)
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201106.mbox/%3C4DE97E04.20202@nouenoff.nl%3E

So, "For me it is obvious that this statement is because there is strong involvement in LibreOffice
from people that do not want to work with non-copyleft and Apache licence."

I agree; you draw the same inference that I do: he means that a non-copyleft license is the
reason for (predicted eventual) failure.  That attitude is most likely why (IMO) the "obvious"
candidate wasn't used when Oracle decided to transfer OpenOffice.

Licensing matters.  IBM and others prefer an Open Source license, which allows a level playing
field, rather than the inequity of GPL+proprietary, but they are not interested sharing everything.

	--- Noel