incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: OOo - Lines in the sand and pre-determined conclusions...
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 21:51:20 GMT
Michael,

Conclusion:

"I do not believe the ASF is likely to provide a good home for the OO.o project in the long
run."

Supporting statements:

"They are sufficiently confident and comfortable with their model that attempting to negotiate
over changing any core aspect of it (such as the non-copy-left stance) is unlikely to be fruitful
work."

"The ASF has a very well designed governance, and a very experienced team, and some excellent
licensing for specific situations."

"I believe that the Apache licensing and policies are for the most part extremely mature,
very applicable and effective in certain projects, and fundamentally non-negotiable."

I fail to see how you draw the conclusion from the supporting arguments.  One can infer from
your supporting statements that you see licensing as the issue.  But you've failed to draw
the connection between the license and your conclusion.  As an Epistemologist, I'm kind of
interested in such nits.

	--- Noel