incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: OpenOffice & LibreOffice
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:49:12 GMT
Simon Phipps wrote:

> I agree on both counts. My sense continues to be that the best outcome
would
> be close to my original proposal[1], although that got substantial
push-back
> from some quarters.

So let's address the push-back.

The proposal, as I understand it, is for OpenOffice to exist at the ASF.
Push-back that it should move to TDF is just a non-starter, as far as I can
see, for those interested in doing OpenOffice under a permissive license.
The licensing issue does not go away, so let's move on with the assumption
that OpenOffice will happen here.

Once we establish that predicate, the question is what happens with
collaboration.

You and I agree that core development would happen at the ASF.  TDF would be
a downstream consumer of the core code, and able to incorporate incompatibly
licensed code into its unique distribution.  Everyone, IBMer, TDFer, and
other alike would be welcomed to contribute to the core code, under our
license, and to incorporate their own downstream changes under their own
license.  From that perspective, TDF and IBM are equal players, each with
their own enhancements: one set LGPL/MPL, the other closed source.

Let us not conflate trademark issues with collaboration on the code.  That
just defocuses attention from the necessary issues, IMO.

	--- Noel