incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Upstream/Downstream (was OpenOffice & LibreOffice)
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 16:17:06 GMT
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Norbert Thiebaud wrote:

> > Just because you choose a particular license that does not make you
> > de-facto 'upstream'.

You may not like that a diode only allows current to flow one way, but that is its function.

The notion of upstream is simply a factual function that code can only flow in one direction
due to the license.  It doesn't cover the ratio or quality of work, just a statement of direction.

There is also the tacit belief that we'd all like to avoid a fork, and that is the way to
avoid it, again, because code can only flow one way.  I have seen no proposal from anyone
that avoids a fork without having a permissively licensed upstream source or having TDF change
to the necessary form of license.

> What he misses (as quite a few others do, which is possibly why you
> are reacting angry) is a certain amount of sensibility that
> acknowledges that this fact is just as likely to cause a total split
> between LO and OO.

Actually, I recognize the issue.

> > Do you really think that you can then proclaim yourself 'upstream'
> > [and] and start telling [people] from now on _we_ get to run the
> > show...

Who is this "we" to whom you refer?  It isn't the ASF.  This is the formation of a new WE:
an OpenOffice.org Community.  It already exists in other forms and places, and all of those
people are welcome to participate.  All that the ASF provides is a license, support and infrastructure.
 The WE are YOU: IBM, TDF, anyone else who wants to work on the code.

I would suggest that the new WE should offer commit rights to people who have existing commit
access to the code base at TDF.

> > And of course make that bold statement even before you read the code,
> > figure out how to build it or even figure out what you want to try to
> > do with it and how.

Again, the people coming here are the WE.  Those who join the Community.  And those WE have
read the code, do builds, etc.

	--- Noel