incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Consideration of OpenOffice.org as a podling
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 00:24:19 GMT

On Jun 4, 2011, at 7:18 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 11:18:16 -0700
> Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>> I've just managed to wade through some 400+ emails to this list in the last 2 days
and I would estimate that less than 10 were particularly relevant to what my vote will ultimately
be on this proposal. It seems pretty clear to me that there is a lot of emotional reaction
to this but a lot of that is from people who don't really seem to grasp what the incubator
process, and perhaps the ASF itself, are about.  First and foremost reading [1] followed by
[2] and [3] should be a requirement before posting to this list.

> If that's the case then we're sorely missing another forum.
>
> This discussion has naturally brought in a lot people and views
> from outside the Apache community, whose interest in us has been
> triggered by circumstances not of their making.  Many of them are
> potential future valued contributors to our community, while
> others may prefer TDF and take no further part after this discussion.
>
> Whilst your references should be essential reading in due course
> for those who stay, we should not raise too high a bar to those
> whose interest is OOO/TDF but who are new to and maybe undecided on
> ASF participation!

Ralph's point, as I understood it, was that there is some basic information
about the Apache Incubation process that would be useful to know when
posting in the general@INCUBATOR.apache.org list... Even if
just to know that all participants have some basic, low-level
common understanding, as it helps to avoid misunderstandings...