incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 23:38:37 GMT

On Jun 5, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 5, 2011, at 4:24 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>>
>>> It could be argued either way. I am sure if IBM put its efforts to
>>> LibreOffice then I'm sure it would be a great success. So why doesn't
>>> IBM want to take part when theres a great FOSS community already in
>>> existence?
>>
>> Did you not read my post in reply to you an hour ago?  The answer is obvious. IBM
is not an "Open Source" company but a proprietary software company. Those are two separate
business models. That is like asking Microsoft why you can't have the source code for Windows.
 Expecting a Leopard to change into a Lion is simply not going to happen - at least not quickly.

> I did read it - but IBM has decided to happily contribute to the GPL'd
> OpenJDK - so I don't believe it has to change any spots.

Yes, it does.  IBM doesn't have to operate under the GPL because Oracle has given them permission
to use some other license.  With LibreOffice that is not an option.

Ralph