incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: OO/LO License
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 20:02:59 GMT

On Jun 4, 2011, at 12:24 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> Just to un-muddy the waters a little, it should be clear that all distributions of
OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice are under the LGPL3.  It is also the case that contributors
of code to LibreOffice are required to affirm that their contributions are under LGPLv3+/MPL.

> Here is a quick overview of the ASF's distributions:
>
> All distributions from the Apache Software Foundation are made under
> the terms of the Apache License, Version 2.  This includes
> contributions made via mailing lists and issue trackers.  All
> committers are required to sign an ICLA.  ASF distributions can not
> include material made available under LGPLv3.  Unmodified MPL
> libraries may be included in binary form. The Apache License is
> (one-way) compatible with LGPLv3.  Relevant links:
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3-compatibility.png

I have been reading these email threads and some of the blogs over the last few days. I think
there has been a great deal of education going on from all sides and it is great.

Once licensing issues are understood then a way the two communities might mutually cooperate
becomes clear. And here it is LO/TDF might contribute to Apache OO by providing portions of
the LO codebase as MPL binary libraries.

Sam, is this the direction you are leading us?

Regards,
Dave Fisher