incubator-general mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Splitting the Community?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 17:36:01 GMT

On 3 Jun 2011, at 17:52, Ian Lynch wrote:

> Hi Florian,
>

>> I do see with great concern is the need for a second project to be set-up
>> at Apache or any other entity.
>>

> Thing is that this is done, Oracle didn't and won't now give the IP to any
> other foundation.  So we are where we are.

We may be where we are, but we collectively have the opportunity to collaborate once Oracle
has gone - that's what "open" means.  "My way or the highway" talk - from any side - is detestable.
 ASF has the opportunity to reject the bait to head down the path of ideological conflict,
choose a conciliatory path that respects the existing community and especially to use the
trademark (which is the only actual asset being transferred) for everyone's good.

S.