incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 10:16:55 GMT
Let's use the Wiki to craft up the latest rev... Much easier for
people not on the mailing lists.

On Jun 1, 2011, at 12:34 PM, Luke Kowalski wrote:

> we were instructed to send the proposal to an email address.
> Should we go and hack at the wiki now? No issues, either way.
>

> On 6/1/2011 9:00 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:57, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com <mailto:grobmeier@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> > Hello Luke,
>> >
>> > don't know if OpenOffice is an exception, but usually Proposals are done here:
>> > http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
>>
>> There is no requirement to use the Wiki. I've attached the text of the .ODT file
in the message below.

>>  Abstract
>>

>> OpenOffice.org is comprised of (6) personal productivity applications: word processor,
spreadsheet, presentation graphics, drawing, equation editor, and database. OpenOffice.org
supports Windows, Solaris, Linux and Macintosh operation systems. OpenOffice.org is localized,
supporting over 110 languages worldwide.

>>  Proposal
>>

>> OpenOffice.org will be contributed to Apache Software Foundation by Oracle Corporation
in compliance with ASF licensing and governance.

>> This contribution will form the basis of the new OpenOffice project at Apache.
>>

>>  Background
>>

>> OpenOffice.org was launched as an open source project by Sun Microsystems in June
2000. OpenOffice.org was originally developed by Star Division which was acquired by Sun in
1999. OpenOffice.org is the leading alternative to MS-Office available as an open source licensed
offering. The source is written in C++ and delivers language-neutral and scriptable functionality.
This source technology introduces the next-stage architecture, allowing use of the suite elements
as separate applications or as embedded components in other applications. Numerous other features
are also present including XML-based file formats based on the vendor-neutral OpenDocument
Format (ODF) standard from OASIS and other resources.

>>  Rationale
>>

>> OpenOffice.org core development would continue at Apache following the contribution
by Oracle, in accordance with Apache bylaws and its usual open development processes. Both
Oracle and ASF agree that the OpenOffice.org development community, previously fragmented,
would re-unite under ASF to ensure a stable and long term future for OpenOffice.org. ASF would
enable corporate, non-profit, and volunteer stakeholders to contribute code in a collaborative
fashion.

>> Supporting tooling projects will accompany the OpenOffice.org contribution, providing
APIs for extending and customizing OpenOffice.org.

>> Both OpenOffice.org and the related tooling projects support the OASIS Open Document
Format, and will attract an ecosystem of developers, ISVs and Systems Integrators. ODF ensures
the users of OpenOffice.org and related solutions will own their document data, and be free
to choose the application or solution that best meets their requirements.

>> The OpenOffice.org implementation will serve as a reference implementation of the
Open Document Format standard.

>>  Current Status
>>

>> This is a new project.
>>

>>  Meritocracy
>>

>> The initial developers are very familiar with open source development, both at Apache
and elsewhere. Apache was chosen specifically because Oracle as contributor, and IBM as Sponsor
and the initial developers want to encourage this style of development for the project. A
diverse developer community is regarded as necessary for a healthy, stable, long term OpenOffice.org
project.

>>  Community
>>

>> OpenOffice.org. seeks to further encourage developer and user communities during
incubation, beyond the existing developers currently working on the project.

>>  Core Developers
>>

>> The initial set of committers include people from the community of OpenOffice.org
Technology projects. We have varying degrees of experience with Apache-style open source development,
ranging from none to ASF Members.

>>  Alignment
>>

>> The developers of OpenOffice.org will want to work with the Apache Software Foundation
specifically because Apache has proven to provide a strong foundation and set of practices
for developing standards-based infrastructure and related components. Additionally, the project
may evolve to support cloud and mobile platforms from its starting point of desktop operating
systems.

>>  Known Risks
>>

>>  Orphaned products
>>

>> OpenOffice.org is a mature project, with a set of APIs. It is continuing to evolve.
>>

>>  Inexperience with Open Source
>>

>> The initial developers include long-time open source developers, including Apache
Members.

>>  Homogenous Developers
>>

>>      OpenOffice.org for many years was managed by Sun, who provided
>>      the majority of its engineering resources as well as its
>>      direction. Moving this project to Apache will enable a new start
>>      and provide a broad framework.
>>

>>  Reliance on Salaried Developers
>>

>> The initial group of developers will be employed by IBM, Linux distribution companies,
and likely public sector agencies. Localization resources are expected to gravitate to the
new project, as well. Ensuring the long term stability of OpenOffice.org is a major reason
for establishing the project at Apache.

<http://openoffice.org> and archived.

>> Migration TBD.
>>

>>  Initial Source
>>
>> The initial source will consist of a collection of OpenOffice.org files.
>>

>>  External Dependencies
>>
>> None at this time
>>

>>  Required Resources
>>

>> Developer and user mailing lists
>>

>> A subversion repository
>>

>> A JIRA issue tracker
>>

>> Download site
>>

>> Oracle will assist in the transition and migration from OpenOffice.org. All of the
content has already been archived and is ready for the ASF infrastructure group to act on.