incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TDF/LO, what is the art of the possible?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 16:49:17 GMT
On 5 June 2011 17:31, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> 2011/6/5 André Schnabel <andre.schnabel@gmx.net>:
> >
> > In your questionary, the questions to me seem to be of two kinds:
> >
> > 1) questions that are targeted to individuals actions (sign Apache CLA,
> > contribute code to Apache as well as to TDF ...)
> >
> > 2) fundamental questions on TDF (join Apache and consolidate there,
> choose a
> > name for the product ...)
>
> The ASF is not a consortium.  There is no mechanism for a foundation
> to participate as an entity, only individuals.

I think this is a very important point. It means TDF has to keep its clear
and separate identity if there is to be a project supporting a copyleft
licensed version of the code. The ASF OOo code is simply a resource to be
taken  and given a purpose that TDF members believe in. TDF members have the
option of contributing to that code but they don't have to.