incubator-general mailing list archives

From dsh <daniel.hais...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Request: Can "proposed committers" introduce themselves?
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 14:37:46 GMT
On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:58 PM,  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> A sufficiently complex business application based on OpenOffice is going
> to involve document manipulations at both tiers.  For example, we recently
> (at IBM) made an insurance solution that involved using Symphony, extended
> with a Plugin, submitting documents into a workflow, where they were
> introspected and validated using the ODF Toolkit.

Of course the ODF Toolkit isn't a golden fleece for server side ODF
processing. I would rather call it a good compromise offering some
room for improvement. If we would have had a choice we would have
preferred a headless OO runing on either AIX or z/OS ;) For instances
you still have to code a comprehensive amount of XSL stylesheets if
using the ODF toolkit. One drawback we faced was that customers
created their ODF documents during design time using Symphony and
during runtime while mass-producing business correspondence documents
the ODF Toolkit generated documents which were not 100% formatted
equal to what has been created in Symphony earlier on. Thus our
preference to use the same formatting engine (i.e. Symphony/OO) during
both design time and run time.

Cheers
Daniel