incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 23:29:43 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Ralph Goers <> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 2011, at 3:45 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>> I'll lend a voice to the contrary.
>>> I can't see why splitting a community should be a factor in entry to the
>>> incubator. Just about every new open source community is trying to pull away
>>> developers from another community doing similar stuff. That's the nature of
>>> the beast.
>> True, but when its essentially the same software, rather than
>> different software solving the same problem? If I proposed a new
>> project that was a fork of the HTTP project, how would that go down?
> If you proposed a new project to implement the HTTP server in Java and got a community
around it I'd vote +1.  I wouldn't join because it wouldn't scratch any itch I have but I
wouldn't stand in the way.

Me too - but thats different from proposing a fork of httpd here.

>>> For me, getting the OOo code fully available under AL is reason enough to +1
>>> it as far as I'm concerned...if I were on the IPMC... :-)
>> License is important, but thats not all the ASF is about. Community is
>> important too. I respect you're right to vote however you wish but if
>> all its down to is license then I'm not sure.
> I care about end users. If my employer wanted to build a product that required ODF and
was going to be delivered to a desktop I am 100% sure I would not be able to use LibreOffice.
They would happily consume Apache Office.  Community is important to me, but only in the
sense that a successful community can be built here.

Right, but the ASF is not here for our employers and their products.

> Ralph

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message