incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Charles-H. Schulz" <>
Subject Re: Blondie's Parallel Lines...
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 15:16:45 GMT
Hello Jim,

2011/6/2 Jim Jagielski <>

> On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:40 AM, wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to think that no one is working on LibreOffice merely because
> > they have no choice, or that giving everyone a choice is seen as being
> > antagonistic.  If truly 100% of the LibreOffice members prefer TDF to
> > Apache, then you have nothing to worry about, right?  If some prefer
> > Apache, then you have worries, if you choose to worry about such things,
> > but I don't take it as a moral fault in Apache or in the authors of this
> > proposal that we are offering an open source development choice that some
> > developers might prefer over TDF.
> >
> I don't see this as 2 "competing" projects... well, maybe right
> now it is, but what it is "now" doesn't mean that is how it
> should be, or will turn out to be.
> One simple example: Imagine the Apache project as the core
> "guts" of OOo, the framework. With TDF working on parts
> that extend and enhance OOo, in a modular fashion, for
> a particular set of end-users... or something like that.
> Or something different from that.
> What I'm trying to say is simple 1-1 duplication is stupid, at
> least in my mind. I don't see that as our only option; in fact,
> I see that as a really short-sighted one. We can all certainly
> do much better than that.

It is an honor to be on an ASF list, first of all, and I'd like to thank
everyone for joining this discussion.

To answer Jim's email, I think that while OOo and LibreOffice don't have to
be competitors, I would not necessarily want to decide why we should split
development efforts. I 'm sure the Apache Foundation has experience in
dealing with Free and Open Source Software projects but I don't think it
make sense to to split communities and give a specific role to each of them.

I do have a question though. To me it's unclear whether the Openoffice
project has any real development ressources. I see so far one developer and
Rob, who I know to be a distinguished engineer from IBM but who has never
contributed code to OpenOffice, if I recall. I'm a bit surprised by this as
TDF has now over 200 developers, paid and unpaid and I was under the
impression that this number was not deemed to be enough by IBM.

Charles-H. Schulz.