incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "opportunity to reunite the related communities" Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Splitting the Community?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 18:09:53 GMT
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de> wrote:
> Am 02.06.2011 18:09, schrieb Jukka Zitting:
>> I wouldn't be too quick to throw away this opportunity to reunite the
> related communities.
>>
>> If the differences truly are insurmountable, I'd like to see that
>> explained in the proposal before we vote on it.
>
> +1 (not binding)

The ASF uses the Apache License. Some people will only contribute to
projects under a copyleft license. Arguments about these lines have -
historically - produce a lot of flames but little useful illumination.
(So I'd like to avoid another round ;-)

What might be reasonably hoped for is that the ASF could act as an
upstream for GPLv3 office product(s) with a reunited community
spanning these projects (as widely as ideologically possible). I would
definitely like to see the proposal explain whether this would be
possible and practical.

Robert