incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commerce and open-soure (Was) Proposal to join Apache OpenOffice
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:43:27 GMT
The expression 'land-grab' in here bothers me.

I understand (if not agree with) the 'deep philosophy justification'
of the FSF for a particular licensing strategy.

I understand the views of individuals who don't want to benefit
corporations without extracting, at least, some token cooperation in
return.

I don't understand the analogy in which code is 'land' which can be
'grabbed'. If a corporation takes ALv2 licensed code and uses it to
launch some close-source thing, the code isn't used up. It's still
there where anyone else can use it for anything else.