incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice & LibreOffice
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 23:17:56 GMT
Keith,

You seem to be laboring under a misapprehension about how the ASF works.

The ASF did not 'choose Java.'

The ASF provides a legal and technical infrastructure for human beings
to collaborate. It asks them to work within certain principles of
governance and, indeed, licensing.

Funny thing, many of us felt that the best way to solve our collective
problems was to write code in Java.

If we were the sort of people who felt that a particular philosophical
approach to 'freedom' was paramount, we wouldn't be here at all.
Though, I'd point out, the FSF-inspired anti-Java campaign seems to
have softened quite a bit over the last few years.

Understanding this will help you to understand the situation at hand.
On the one hand, Oracle has granted this code to the Foundation. On
the other hand, a group of people have shown up and made a proposal to
erect a community around that code.

Really, truly, that's all that we need around here, so long as there's
reasonable evidence that the community can, in fact, conform to the
Foundation's requirements. It would be wonderful if One Big Happy Open
Office.Org Family results from this event, but we don't have to have a
Diet of Worms convene and agree on the outlines of that family in
advance.

--benson margulies