incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 06:06:55 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Phil Steitz <> wrote:

> On 6/5/11 10:16 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> > Wow.  Did it occur to you that the original project, Apache httpd,
> > was commercially exploited by vendors *even prior to the creation
> > of the Apache Software Foundation*?
> There is a difference between commercial entities using code vs
> manipulating communities.  Clearly we disagree on this and what the
> ASF is for.  Fine.  I hope there is room for both of our views.

I'm totally in agreement with Phil. There is a BIG difference in the two
positions and I for one would not support ASF being exploited. ASF products
being used for commercial success is absolutely superb.

> ASF members wish to devote considerable time and energy to this
> > project, so exactly who the hell are you to decide what they should
> > and shouldn't devote that time and energy to?

Um Bill you really should cool it a bit .. why are you getting so hot about
it? Phil too is a long standing member of the ASF and has every right to
comment on this!

I am just a volunteer who has seen the ASF struggle with
> growth-related issues for several years now.  I think it is a fair
> question to ask whether we should think about different / more
> selective criteria for entrance to the incubator.  Sorry if asking
> that question offends you.

+1. Those (esp. members) who find that question offensive need to take a
cold shower.

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;
Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2;
Founder & Director; Thinkcube Systems;
Member; Apache Software Foundation;
Visiting Lecturer; University of Moratuwa;