incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice - Wiki - Required Resources - Subversion vs. Mercurial vs. Git
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 21:44:22 GMT
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 16:40, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>> We already had subversion for some time as the repository for the main
>> code and it didn't work well for a project this size.
>
> Tangential to the responses you've already received, I'm curious as to the
> problems you experienced with Subversion.  Our infrastructure team, working
> closely over the years with the Subversion team, has done wonders to get
> Subversion working for the ASF.  We've often been their canary in the coal
> mine.  :-)

Right. I know that the Apache Subversion team would love to hear about
any problems.

As Noel mentions, the ASF repository is quite huge. We're over 1.1
million revisions, containing a couple hundred projects and millions
and millions of lines of code. We've got international replication,
backups, security, awesome admins, and a development team to keep it
all running smoothly.

I can understand people desiring the Git style of workflow, but that
is different from a problem inherent to Subversion itself. So... if
you guys *did* have issues with the tool, then we'd really like to
know!

"I can fix it... my dad's got an awesome set of tools..."

Cheers,
-g