incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Policy for BUILD and CHANGES files in podling releases
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:59:48 GMT
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:57 AM, Eric Sammer <esammer@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> Incubators:
>>
>> I can't find an appropriate policy on the licensing requirements of
>> ancillary files like BUILD or CHANGES files that are commonly distributed
>> with releases. I'm specifically looking at the somewhat vague and confusing
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
>
> (Unfinished might be a better description. Patches appreciated ;-)
>
>> but also http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html. I did find:
>>
>> "Does this apply to documentation files included in a release?"
>> Yes.
>
> legal-discuss [1] is the right list for questions like this and that
> community maintains that documentation. it's a low traffic list. to
> get a canonical answer, ask there and ask for this case to be more
> clearly documented.
>
> (IMHO BUILDING and CHANGES are corner cases. I incline towards adding
> license headers unless they are clearly trivial.)

I respectfully disagree on that one, i know a few projects do have the
license header on all their README, BUILDING, CHANGES etc type doc
files but i think the vast majority don't, and having the first thing
a new user sees when opening a README be a lot of legal text doesn't
seem very user friendly to me. So IMHO leave out the header until
there is some explicit policy saying it must be there. And be in good
company - [1], [2], [3] etc.

   ...ant

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.3.9/README
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.3.9/INSTALL