incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Manfred A. Reiter" <ma.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A little OOo history
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:51:44 GMT
Hi all,

2011/6/7 Danese Cooper <danese@gmail.com>:
> Some of you know I was closely involved in the original open-sourcing of StarDivision
code as OpenOffice.org.  I'm also an Apache Member.  Thought some of the current discussions
could benefit from a tiny bit of (no axe to grind) history.

> This information is offered in the spirit of trying to get it "right" as we go forward.
I've offered to mentor the podling (should it be accepted, which I think is likely) because
I'd really like to see the best outcome to a tough situation here.  PLEASE only actual questions
relating to the content of this message in this thread.

> 1) Why the .org?
>
> Well...the original owner of the code, Marco Boerries, was really fond of the name OpenOffice.
 No other name would do.  However, Sun's lawyers were not willing to endorse a name that
they couldn't secure worldwide trademarks on.  There was an existing proprietary software
package sold in the South Korean market that was using the name OpenOffice.

In Switzerland, there is the brand name "Open Office" as well. - So be
careful. ;-)

Manfred