incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <>
Subject Re: Blondie's Parallel Lines...
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 19:03:02 GMT
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
<> wrote:
> I am certainly not going to enter a debate on licensing, and I think nobody
> wants that here. But I just think that there are other ways to cooperate
> than pretending the elephant in the room (LibreOffice, the Document
> Foundation) does not exist or does not de facto embody the largest part of
> the OpenOffice community (yes, I know, there are a few exceptions).

Licensing is one of the key reason why many projects find their way to
the ASF.  Any discussion that misses out on that is missing a key part
of the equation.

As to the alleged elephant in the room; I don't see anyone at the ASF
who is pretending that LibreOffice does not exist or the the Document
Foundation does not exist.

Remember: nearly everybody at the ASF heard about this awesome
donation at roughly the same time you did.  As one who was involved in
the legal aspects, I perhaps heard about it a short while before you
did, but not by much.  And there wasn't much I could talk about yet as
it hadn't happened yet.

Now that it has happened, people have reached out, are reaching out,
and will continue to do so.

Meanwhile, I will confirm that we have a Software Grant from Oracle,
and it is the same Software Grant that everybody else signs:

Within the limits of what that grant allows us to do, and the founding
principles of the ASF, I welcome cooperation with every entity and
organization that wishes to.

- Sam Ruby

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: