incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: TDF/LO, what is the art of the possible?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 17:13:08 GMT
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM,  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote on 06/04/2011 11:59:08 AM:
>
>> Subject: Re: TDF/LO, what is the art of the possible?
>>
>> I think it is relevant how the ASF would respond. Silence will be
>> taken as negative yet if the ASF Board were to response to such
>> questions without first understanding the consensus of the members I
>> would be most displeased with my Board.
>>
>> To expect the TDF to treat their membership in this way is, IMHO,
>> unreasonable. This should be a dialog not a set of binary choices.
>
> Indeed.  It could always occur in multiple stages, with TDF getting
> feedback from their membership, etc., doing this in iterative rounds of
> discussions.  I leave it to TDF how best to caucus.
>
> Would you acknowledge that having a direct negotiating session with 500
> individual in not really practical, especially if those individuals have
> no authority over their organization's respective licenses?  Or, in your
> experience, do you know of a better way?  If so, please share.

Unless anybody objects, I will personally take ownership of this
issue.  On the subject of licenses I *can* speak authoritatively on
behalf of the ASF.  I've engaged in the discussion both here and on
the documentfoundation.org lists.

The best summary I am aware of to date on this issue can be found at:
http://s.apache.org/lY

> -Rob

- Sam Ruby