incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Bigtop for the Apache Incubator
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 23:02:43 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>> I've added more on the limitations of the current process (not synchronised
>> releases, not enough automated testing on multiple-host clusters), and on a
>
> actually there's a stand-alone Hudson job in Apache
>  https://builds.apache.org/hudson/view/G-L/view/Hadoop/job/Hadoop-22-cluster-test/
> which does exactly that: testing 0.22 against a cluster deployed from every
> build (deployed automatically as well).

To add to that -- part of the allure of Bigtop (or any software management stack
technology for that matter) is that it gives you a mechanism for building and
qualifying software stacks, but doesn't dictate a policy. In fact, it
is perfectly
reasonable to have quite a few different stacks serving different customer
needs as long as they are reproducible and quantifiable (of course, as
a community
we really would benefit from less stacks since it makes things like
interoperability way easier to manage).

It is a bit similar to how different Linux distros manage the upstream releases
and cater to different use cases (although the great unicorn of a stable AND
cutting edge distro is yet to be spotted).

> The job is using a different system harness https://github.com/c0s/v4stack
> though, because the framework proposed here was pulled out from public access
> (e.g. from github) for whatever reason. Technically, speaking the commnunity
> could've benefit from a large set of automated cluster tests for months now. I
> guess late is better than never ;)

Manuscripts don't burn, you know ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.